Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Difference between P3 and P3e

10 replies [Last post]
Timi Ogunjobi
User offline. Last seen 16 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
I have been switching between different software tools for some time and need to get updated on some skills. Can someone please tell me if there are any major differences between P3 and P3e

Replies

Mario Sanvitale
User offline. Last seen 12 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Paul

Agree completely, that’s why we prefer to do one-to-one consultation rather than prescrbed courses when migrating P3 to P5. That also helps the new user understand the additional features in P5 rather than simply trying to mimic P3, and to identify how these can benefit.
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline
Mario

I have read many comparisons of lists of functions but I find these comparisons of software functions often miss leading because they often do not comment on the usability and functionality of the functions. I am sure you have found this yourself.

For example SureTrak, P3 V3.1, Primavera Enterprise V5.0 and Microsoft Project all have a method of automatically progressing a schedule, as if it has progressed according to plan. The SureTrak function is far superior than the other products as its function allows two additional options the others do not have. Firstly there is the option of not updating resources and secondly it is able to reverse status. This makes this function shine above the other products.

Many people selecting software just looking at a list of functions when looking at software packages. One needs to get into the software and see if the menu system is smooth, that the functions allow a high level of productivity and they allow the scheduler to carry out his or her day to day work in a natural way.

There are products out there whose functions are hard to access through the menu system, do not provide the functionality desired by the users and are put in the software to provide the “We can do that as well” line in the brochure, but do not match other well thought out product equivalent functions in other software.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Mario Sanvitale
User offline. Last seen 12 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Like Paul, we have also found 1-1 consultancy more effective and economical than the lengthy generic courses, since by definition these cannot cover each of the Primavera industry models.

If you are using Primavera for Engineering and Construction, there is a booklet included with the documentation that covers many migration differences.
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline
Timi Ogunjobi

Primavera Enterprise Version 5.0 has more in common with Microsoft Project than P3 Version 3.1 and is nothing like Power Project. It not like moving from Primavera Version 3.1 to SureTrak which both have very similar menus.

There are many new concepts in functions like filters, layouts, autocost rules, baselines to name a few.

If you are an experienced scheduler and are able to read books you should have no problems converting to Primavera Enterprise using the documentation or a getting hold of a good book.

If you, as many people do, have problems with reading and understanding documentation then a conversion course would be an advantage.

I conduct a lot of one-to-one training on a regular basis for experienced schedulers which I find is better than an open course for many students. You may find a good scheduling consultant in London who will spend a day with you and show you the important aspects of the software in a day.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
For more information, try referencing an earlier thread on the P3e/c forum at http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?fid=1&Cat=8&Top=20673. Good luck!
Timi Ogunjobi
How easy is it for a P3 user to "hit the ground running" on P3e without having to take a course on P3e; How do the users interface and basic commands compare ?
Steve Keys
User offline. Last seen 17 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
http://www.primavera.com/customer/products/p3upgrade_faq.asp has some good content. In addition to some of the earlier comments there are also significant technical differences (32 bit versus 16 bit, DB support, etc.).
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
leave me your email id so that i can forward some screen shots. or you can refer http://www.primavera.com for further details.
Timi Ogunjobi
Any in the user interface ? Can you point me to some screenshots ? Thanks
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
major difference between P3 and p3e is Enterprise Project Structure(EPS), OBS, topdown budgeting facility, web-based project management facility, etc etc...........