Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavera:- Which is Which ? What does what ?

1 reply [Last post]
Jim Smith
User offline. Last seen 8 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Folks,

I have been confused by the primavera product evolution / naming / functionality matrix, from legacy DOS based “Finest Hour” through to the latest Windows products.

Questions that need specific answers
1. Which products use a relational databases ( which do not ).
2. Specifically which are 16 bit. Which are 32 bit. Which are 64 bit.
3. Which can be set up in a multi user way.
4. Are Teamplay and P3e the same thing
5. Is P3 e/c ( engineering & construction ) the same as P3e. If not describe sucinctly in which ways they differ.
6. Is P3e the same as P3 5.0 ?
( 7. I discovered a thread referring to a “P4” and suggesting that this means Primavera Project Planner Professional", i.e., 4 P’s. Does it mean this ? Does it exist ? Or does this mean P3 v4.x ? )
8. Any relevant question not included.

If you know of a **simple** clear logical Primavera product evolution matrix document - perhaps created by you and on your hard drive - then please post here.

If you have a web link post that.

Do any of the usergroup folks have such a simple product matrix document ?

If so post me a PM and I’ll format the data into a table and email it to anyone who PM’s me for a copy ( I’m not sure PP handles tables ).

Regards
Jim

Replies

Steve Keys
User offline. Last seen 17 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I hope the following helps.

1. Which products use a relational databases (which do not).

Primavera version 5.0 uses a relational database; Oracle, SQL Server as well as MSDE for small implementations.

2. Specifically which are 16 bit. Which are 32 bit. Which are 64 bit.

P3 is 16 bit. All other products, including SureTrak, are 32 bit. It is unlikely at this stage that P3, as a 16 bit application, will work on a 64 bit O/S. This is a key technical driver for people to consider upgrading from P3 to Primavera version 5.0.

3. Which can be set up in a multi user way.

All products with the exception of SureTrak and Primavera Contractor, which are designed as single user, desktop applications.

4. Are Teamplay and P3e the same thing

First a note on terminology; TeamPlay and P3e now no longer officially “exist” as product names, although they are still common currency among users. These are both now referred to as Primavera version 5.0.

The answer to your question is "yes" in that they share the same software code. The difference is that Primavera took the time to configure a number of different versions to meet the perceived needs of different vertical sectors.

That configuration included terminology, sample project data, sample methodology templates stored in Methodology Manager, sample reports, etc.

It is certainly possible to re-configure TeamPlay to look and feel exactly like P3e and vice versa, but there would seem very little point as you can buy the ‘flavour’ of the tool that most closely matches your needs straight off the bat.

I believe Primavera will continue with this approach (a core product with “final mile” configuration to meet the perceived needs of different sectors) to maximize the value of R&D investment for the broader community while also delivering a functionally rich product and ensuring total compatibility.

While additional configuration will inevitably be called for to map to your own specific needs, you should find the configuration undertaken in the product "out of the box" really helps.

5. Is P3 e/c ( engineering & construction ) the same as P3e. If not describe succinctly in which ways they differ.

See answer 4 above. TeamPlay was the ‘flavour’ configured for IT & Financial Services. P3e/c was the ‘flavour’ configured for the needs of the engineering and construction industry, and so on. These are both now referred to as Primavera version 5.0.

When you visit http://www.primavera.com you will see a number of links on the left hand side of the page referring to different verticals. Here you can see how a core product has been shaped to meet the needs of different industries e.g. http://www.primavera.com/industry/ec/index.asp.

6. Is P3e the same as P3 5.0 ?

P3e is the name once given to what we now refer to as Primavera version 5.0.

( 7. I discovered a thread referring to a “P4” and suggesting that this means Primavera Project Planner Professional", i.e., 4 P’s. Does it mean this ? Does it exist ? Or does this mean P3 v4.x ? )

No such product ever existed under official Primavera terminology of which I am aware (I have been involved in the Primavera community for the past 7 years).

8. Any relevant question not included.

In summary, I would not get too hung up on product names. What you are buying is “Primavera”. To me, the most important thing is not the choice of name, but that the system actually works.

If you are interested in finding out more about Primavera you should contact your local Primavera office (http://www.primavera.com/purchase/offices.asp) and / or find a local authorized representative (http://www.primavera.com/partners/par.asp#International). Someone will come and meet with you, develop an understanding of your needs and then recommend the most appropriate product.