Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Filter Activities with Lead/Lag

7 replies [Last post]
Kashyap Mothali
User offline. Last seen 12 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Is there any way one can filter activities with lead/lag? The only way I have been doing it so far is to look at the Pred/Succ dialog boxes.

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 18 hours 17 min ago. Offline

Even low cost software as Primavera SureTrak can filter for lag at a click of the mouse, without time consuming procedures.

It is kind of limited as it does not displays nor filter for many lag parameters, among them lag calendar, a basic check for when your relationship lag is in calendar days while your connected activities have different work-days calendars.

You can try the same strategy as with SureTrak, first organize by successors or organize by predecessors and then you shall be able to filter for a limited number of lag parameters, better something than nothing.

Photobucket

SureTrak cost us at street price half of MSP (~ 400 US$) and being a budget software is still able to identify if the activities are delayed by resource availability instead of by a logic link, similar to MSP.

Good luck

Mohamed Hegab
User offline. Last seen 3 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

Schedule Cracker (www.schedulecracker.com) provides what you are looking for.  We identify lag through relationships, filter them or group activities by lag and much more.  Our powerful tool allows you to compare multiple schedules, trend project-performance values, and forecast project performance, and much more. 

Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
That is correct, just make sure you save the changes to a dbf file. To avoid duplication of relationships, it is better to open a new project file, with only the activity information and/or resources information. This can also be done by exporting and importing. then you import the updated relationship file.

PS. If you have MS Access, you can use that as well, if you want to link the relationships to the activity descriptions.
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Hi Philip,

Thank you for the information. Even i can make a changes on the lag and import it to update the P3 file.

Regards.
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
That is not possible to do as there might be two or more successors or predecesors to any one activity.

The other way to do it is to export the successor relationships, to a .dbf file, and then to open this file in excel, where you can filter what you need. To do this you go to tools/project utilities/export, add an export report, and click on successor relationships, then under format put in the file path and name, and the file type as .dbf.

Hope this helps.
Kashyap Mothali
User offline. Last seen 12 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
I apologize for not stating my requirement completely. I want to see lead/lags in a separate column. P3 will not allow me to do this.

Kashyap
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Go to Custom Data Items and create a data base for Lag in Actvity Tab.

Specify the following:
Name = Lag
Type = N
Length = Specify the required length
Description = Specify the required description

Once completed, open a column for Lag in Activity Column. You got to do some editing manually. Key in the assigned lag for the particular activities. Then use Filter Command to filter activities with lag.

Regards.