Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3 planned progress for specific cut off date

16 replies [Last post]
Anil Godhawale
User offline. Last seen 13 years 6 days ago. Offline
Hi friends,

I want to calculate the plan % complete progress for a specific cut off date. Say i would like to see the planned % progress as of 14 every month for the entire duarion of the project..Does P3 allows us to do so?

Please let me know if you didnt get my question..

Regards,

Replies

Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Anil,

I think Tara was referring to my answer in one of my prior posts. Can you browse the previous posts and search for my answer? Hope you find it because I did post a detailed answer.

Jorge
Anil Godhawale
Hi Tara,

I tried to do accordinlgy however no success. Can you please elaborate coz i may be understading it wrongly..

Thanks

Anil Godhawale
Tara Muddappa
User offline. Last seen 17 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Anil,

To arrive at the planned percentage for the whole project, then the other solution is please do as follows:

1.0 By using global change add a Resource "Progressindex"
2.0 Make OD=BQ of the above said duration.(Through global change)
3.0 Through Graphical reports generate a graph and you end up having ES curve and LF curve shown as % progress.

Hope this will be of help,if you need further assistance please call on me.

Regards,

Tara Muddappa
Anil Godhawale
Hi all,

Thanks for the comments. Well, the solution by resource loading report with daily format is quite exhaustive. As in this you need to export data in excel and work out accordingly. I was looking for some direct way of calculating the progress like we does it for monthly basis.

The other option some of you guys have given is to update the progress by keeping the same data date in target say T1 or T2. This doesnt help as my intention is to calculate the % for entire duration of the project with cut off being specific date of the month. If we use update progress option in say Target 1, it may give the right % for the 1st month, however when we tries to measure % for the 2nd month, it will shift the entire project by one month as the project is not updated. Also one need to perform this function for 36 times if the prject duration is 3 years, which i would like to avoid.

Anyway, i wrote this issue to P3 guys and they also dont see any other option than we discussed above so i have a very little hope of sorting this out as per my requirement.

Once again thanks to all of you for such a active participation.

Best Regards,

Anil Godhawale,
kader oli
User offline. Last seen 17 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
HI ANIL,

IF YOU UNDERSTAND MR.GILBERTS IDEA, YOU COULD HAVE SOLVED UR PROBLEM. THIS IS THE ONE SIMPLEST WAY FOLLOW HIM

- choose period u prefer(i.e. daily,weekly,etc)

AND MAKE IT AS DAILY (DESPITE WEEK OR MONTH) AND EXPORT IT TO CSV.

THEN ITS EASY TO YOU TO FIND CUMULATIVE DAY BY DAY USING EXCEL FORMULA. AND THEN U CAN CALCULATE WHATEVA U WANT EITHER 14TH OR 17TH OR ANY DATE U NEED.

BELIEVE THIS IS THE ONE SIMPLEST METHOD WE CAN DO WHAT YOU NEED.

THANKS & REGARDS

PE

Anil,

From ur base schedule, steps as follows:
- tools,tabular reports,Resource,Loading
- modify, format, choose export CSV
this will give the loading for period u prefer.

Hope this can assist u.

Gilbert
Tara Muddappa
User offline. Last seen 17 years 1 week ago. Offline
hi Anil,
Sorry i had posted without logging in.

Tara muddappa
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Anil,

This question was answered earlier by one of our members.

In short, please take your target plan and name it T2.Go to Tools and update progress to the datadate you require. Now while updating your update file,use T2 file as target2.Now in the update file call for the column " Target 2 % progress"

Hope this clarifies your doubt. If you need further assistance please call me on 050-6346395.

Regards,

Tara Muddappa
Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Anil,

Id recommend that you run >Tools >Tabular Reports >Cost >Loading.

Modify CL-01:
>Resource Selection = Blank
>Selection = Blank
>Timescale = Project Start Date (SD) to Finish Date (FD)
= Unit=Daily
>Format = Export Report in CSV; Organize by Cost Account

This report will create a daily spending plan.

In Excel, you can create sums (range is from 15th of previous month, to 14th of current month, and 15th of current month to 14th of next month... an so on.)

In Excel, divide each sum by the total project cost and multiply by 100. This should give you the percentages you need.

Hope this works.

Jorge

Zq qz
User offline. Last seen 12 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
To do this just make new target1 or target 2. and using Update progress option you can estimate or determine progress at any given time or date. Try this hope this will help
MMD
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Fill the % in a custom data field by formula in global change. eg OD/project duration.
Anil Godhawale
Well i requiremnent is to calculate the planned % complete for the entire duraiton of project during the begineinig stage or from the Target schedule..

Data date feature is useful only when the project is running or when it becomes the current schedule..

Regards,
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
If the specified cut-off date is same as data date, make the life easy?
Anil Godhawale
Thanks,

Well, there is a bit of problem in doing so..Say you gives it weekly ..P3 takes a week ending date..It is not necessary that this date will be 14th for every month..I agree we need to pick nearest possible date to 14th..My requirement is i should get the Plan progress exactly as of 14th every month..
If we tailor the report for daily..you would agree that it will be a huge one and calculating from that would be difficult thought not impossible..

See if there is any way of doign so...

Regards,
Forum Guest
Thanks,

Well, there is a bit of problem in doing so..Say you gives it weekly ..P3 takes a week ending date..It is not necessary that this date will be 14th for every month..I agree we need to pick nearest possible date to 14th..My requirement is i should get the Plan progress exactly as of 14th every month..See if there is any way of doign so...

Regards,
Gilbert Rayco
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Anil,

From ur base schedule, steps as follows:
- tools,tabular reports,Resource,Loading
- modify, format, choose export CSV
this will give the loading for period u prefer.

Hope this can assist u.

Gilbert
Forum Guest
You could take a copy of the programme and then use tools - Update Progress. Use Excel to record the % complete for the schedule date and then keep repeat for the next date and so on.

A bit of a ball ache but it works.