Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Calendar

5 replies [Last post]
Nishikant Choudhary
User offline. Last seen 20 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
How can i create a DOuble shift i.e. 2 X 10 hrs shift calendar and its benefit in terms of duration to be reflected in my schedule.

One way i think is to physically calculate the Units per time period for single shift and then multiply by a factor of 2 ,and then input in the resource table, so that the reflection is very close .

am i right in doing this ???? or is there a simlified way of doing it?

Replies

It is not enough to define which resource will work in what shift. Assigning resources to activity you don’t know when this activity will be performed before scheduling/levelling your project. Assigning resources with wrong calendars you may cause unnessessary delays.
So the software shall simulate project performance without preliminary knowledge of the time (shifts) when activities will be performed assigning resources with necessary calendars when activity start day will become clear and changing assigned resources when one shift finishes and the next shift starts.
So the task is much more complicated than you think.
Regards,
Vladimir
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
How about MS Project and P3? In both software you can develop the schedule using CPM. Later if you prefer you can swift to Bar Chart.
abdul hafez
User offline. Last seen 19 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
can any one help in finding comparison of software dealing with pert/cpm
thanks
Morteza Jafari
User offline. Last seen 11 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
if you make a new calendar for each special resources then you can define working hours based on 1 shift or 2 shifts or 3 shifts
Soheil Jafari
User offline. Last seen 3 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Hi there,
you need to create your project based on Hours then you can go to global calendar and define 2 shifts
cheers