Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

What if analysis

2 replies [Last post]
Ali Hamouda
User offline. Last seen 7 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi there,

I wanted to know if we can perform what if analysis in P3 program.

Example:

I have built a program in P3 for a project it is cost 6million KD.

now we are in the first floor Cast roof and columns, and the first roof it supposed to be completed say in 31Mar2002.

the question know what if I finish the first roof in 30Apr2002.

what will be the schedule looks like, or what is the effects(in progress,Cost to complet,..etc.).

How we can perform this analysis?

Answer from Profesionals only would be apreciated.

thanks
Ali
-----------------------------

Replies

Colin Cropley
User offline. Last seen 5 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Ali
To perform such a "What-if" analysis, you should make a copy of the current schedule, using the P3 Project Utilities. Then, in the new copied schedule, make the original (current) schedule a target schedule.

In the layout you wish to modify, apply the changes (such as you described) and re-schedule the project.

To see how the new "what-if" schedule compares with the original, define a Target Bar in the layout, and place under the Early Bar of the "What-if" schedule.

You can also define Target 1 Early Start & Finish date columns next to the Early Start & Finish date columns for comparison, as well as Finish & Start Variances (T1EF-EF or T1ES-ES), to quantify how many early or late days the activities will finish or start compared with the original schedule.
Ernesto Puyana
User offline. Last seen 7 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Yes you can. In fact, from a project manager’s point of view, that is what Primavera is for.

Many people see planning and scheduling software only as a rear view mirror - as a tool to register the past: What activities were acomplished, and when. It´s real power lies in the ability to let you look forward and analize the future effect of your decisions today:
If I apply additional resources (which have an additional cost) to finish a certain activity early, will that result in an early project finish? That’s not always the case, even for critical activities.