Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Seasonal or winter assumption variance in regards to delays question

1 reply [Last post]
John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None

If I contractor is really delayed 10 days in say June, on a two year project, but then is able to work 10 more days in that following December than the assumption in the schedule, should they still get those 10 days of delay?  If not, why would anyone ever award delay days before the start of construciton the following Spring?  I have been on jobs where they want to "wait and see" but also isn't that Constructive Accelleration or just not fair tha the contractors doesn't know if they have the additional time?

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 4 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

every month any time related element should be noted for that month and reconciled the next month. For example I am doing an June update recording progress and delays thru June. I then submit my updated schedule WITH the delay fragnet and TIA (Time Impact Analysis). This should then be reviewed for approval and or commented on by the owner or its representitive. Then any time extension should be included in a contract modification that should be issued in July and incorporated into the July updated schedule. 

As the project moves forward in time people leave the project and memories get foggy. ANY delay should be incoprorated into the contemporaneous schedule.   

Even though your title says seasonal you did not say that the delay was seasonal but I will address that also.

Every month any time related element should be noted for that month and reconciled the next month. For example I am doing an June update recording progress and delays thru June. Let's say that anticipated adverse weather for June is to expect 8 dasy of adverse weaher with would be based on the specifications which should be based on the NOAA Historical geographical data for that geographical location. So lets say that I document that I experienced 10 days actual adverse weather for June. Then this means that 10 days minus the 8 days that are to be anticipated equal 2 days. In this case the contractor is ebtitled to 2 days of a non-compensable time extension. This should be included in the June schedule narrative. 

This should then be reviewed for approval and or commented on by the owner or its representitive. Then the 2 day time extension should be included in a contract modification that should be issued in July and incorporated into the July updated schedule and the project must finish date should be extened by 2 calendar days.

This should be done during each schedule update. 

There is NO CREDIT for weather that DID NOT HAPPEN.