Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planning software market share

14 replies [Last post]
James Hinshelwood
User offline. Last seen 4 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear all,

would be possible to have a market share about planning/scheduling software for the most representative countries in the world? I know that software like Primavera and Microsoft Project are well known, but how much? what is the %?

Thanks in advance! 

Replies

Ben Taunt
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

report_demographics.jpg

From page 11 of that report, showing the respondants primary location.  Might answer your question on geographic bias!  Clearly this only paints the picture for North America.

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 4 days 20 hours ago. Offline

Thanks Ben!

Ben Taunt

Hi Tom,

It's a screenshot from the report that you can download from here: https://jbknowledge.com/2018-construction-technology-report-survey

Cheers,

Ben

Ben Taunt

scheduling_software_market_share.jpg

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 4 days 20 hours ago. Offline

Did anyone make a copy of Ben Traunt's graph while it was still fresh?  And could re-post it?  It made a distinct impression on me, but sadly it seems no longer available in his post.

TIA, tom

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 51 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

James, I wouldn't try to measure the word cloud, but as I suggested below the image, perhaps you can contact Logikal and see if they can offer more details?

Some reports available you have to pay for - and they cost quite a lot! Other reports are made by the vendors themselves, so you have to question their validity/bias, and even then Its a highly subjective, for instance consider the two questions below:

"Do you use Primavera?"

"Do you primarily use Primavera?"

Would produce different results!

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 14 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Ben, how has reaction been to Asta Powerproject's inclusion of critical path drag calculation? (I like the Youtube videos!)

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

James Hinshelwood

THanks @Ben for your effort!!! really useful!

It would be great if you have a similar one also for Europe!

Ben Taunt

Hi James,

I'm sure you can figure out the maths required to convert the wordcloud into a representation of market share!  However, all reports like this are very subjective - who did they ask and what was the question?  The software products listed vary dramatically in their capabilities: you would be chosing to use Powerproject or CostX for example - you;re more likely to be using both!

There are other reports available on the web that also attempt to represent stats in this space, such as the ones produced by JBKnowledge (see https://jbknowledge.com/2018-construction-technology-report-survey).  Again this is heavily US focused, but gives some ideas specifically on project scheduling software market share.  The below is from the most recent 2018 report:

scheduling_software_market_share.jpg

What is more interesting than a single snapshot is looking at the trends over the years.  Powerproject was only at 1.5% in the 2015 report and didn't feature at all in 2014, so we're slowly building...!

Best wishes,

Ben @ Powerproject

Steve,

most Spider Project clients live and work in Russia and CIS and do not appear in the American reviews,

most Asta Powerproject users live and work in the UK and Commonwealth and so Asta has little share in the USA.

Don't be surprised.

James Hinshelwood

Thanks @Santosh  for your hint. Nevetheless how can I get the market share? through the name's size??

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 14 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Interesting. The only one of those tools that computes the most critical scheduling metric, critical path drag, is Asta Powerproject. Spider Project does not appear (although I suspect that its market share is greater than many of those listed).

And then people wonder why projects are always late...

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 51 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Logikal run a project controls survey every year the results are available on their website here: https://logikalprojects.com/2019-project-controls-survey-report?utm_sour...

One of the topics is "Most commonly used project controls systems"

So they must have collected some data on which tools are used. You may be able to contact them to ask them for the details?