Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Tracking Welds Per Inches and Piping in P6 8.3

4 replies [Last post]
keith jack
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Iam working on a Project where they want to track welds per inches and Piping in P6 8.3. They also want earned value regarding this. What is the best way to set that up in P6 to track accurately?  

Thank You in Advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Keith

Use physical % complete as the most accurate measurement to compare planned with actual.

Sorry but I can't help with the P6 stuff because I never use it.

P6 is in every case useless for linear projects - Tilos is the software of choce.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 17 hours 44 min ago. Offline

Suggest using cost codes to track costs as well as to track work volumes.  Use some cost codes to represent work volumes while others to represent cost. You can also track resource hours with EV as well as many other parameters.  EV is not just about cost and man-hours but also about volumes.

photo EVMparameters_zpsku6fktiu.jpg

photo tracking welds_zpsabsog13e.jpg

If tracking Billings that is easier than if tracking actual costs to contractor.  This will not solve the issues when some items must be hold when the activity for purpose of scheduling shall be closed as finished.

I am not enthusiastic about using EVM because of the flaws in some of the calculated indexes and its dependence on an ever changing baseline.

Good Luck

keith jack
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Mike Thank You for Your input! In P6 would it be best to set this up by duration % complete or physical % complete to track progress for piping progress? And do resource loading with step outs? Once i have a clear path of understanding how to set up accurately i ll be in good shape from there. Iam a little foggy on how to set it up. Ive mainly worked on lump sump projects. Any response on this is extremely valuable and greatly appreciated! Thanks
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Keith - Welcome to planning planet.

You can calculate the weld inches per length of each pipe PI x D x 3 for each weld stage but add 20 minutes between each pass.

That can be converted to m length of pipe or more conveniently 50m.

Using EVA is not the most accurate method of control but welder resource is a better comparison of planned v actual progress.

Actual production depends on the type of welding - Automatic - Semi Automatic or Manual.

Best regards

Mike Testro