Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Contraint Star Shown on Start Date but no Constraint was mad

6 replies [Last post]
Ashley Bales
User offline. Last seen 11 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have two activities in my P6 schedule that have a star next to the start date but when you look at the activity details under the status tab, it shows no constraint. I scheduled and the star remains to be there. Any ideas of how to fix this?

Replies

Kevin Norman
User offline. Last seen 5 years 24 weeks ago. Offline

Here is a new one for you. When we export our program to our client he obviously opens it and he sees * on activities but which have no constraint shown. I have imported the xer to my stand alone P6 and get the same thing so somethiong is happening when exporting to xer. I have run a global getting rid of any external link dates still no joy. And no we do not have an external project it is all in one with no external links.

Khuong Do
User offline. Last seen 1 year 51 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

I wrote an article regarding Why does Asterisk (*) appears next to the date in the Start or Finish column when no constraints applied to the activity

If you're interested, kindly read it here https://doduykhuong.wordpress.com/2016/06/22/why-does-asterisk-appears-next-to-the-date-in-the-start-or-finish-column-when-no-constraints-applied-to-the-activity/

Cheer

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 2 weeks ago. Offline

Ashley,

When you have relationships linking activities in two different schedules and you only export one of the schedules, then P6 automatically adds an External Early Start or an External Late Finish constraint to make the activity behave as if the missing relationship were there.  To prevent this from occurring, have the person exporting the schedule to open both schedules and export than together.  Then the relationships between the two schedules are exported as well.  Good luck!

Ashley Bales
User offline. Last seen 11 years 47 weeks ago. Offline

Ronald, you were dead on! Somehow we assigned these activities with an external early start. I am not sure how anyone would have done this considering no one in my group even know what this is. Thanks again!

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 2 weeks ago. Offline

Ashley

There are three constraints that do not show up in the primary and secondary constraints boxes; the first is Expected Finish Date (on the same tab as the constraints.)  The other two can only be viewed by adding the columns, ‘External Early Start’ and ‘External Late Finish’ (in the Dates section.)  Good luck!

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 27 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi,

Refresh The Database.