Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to prepare recovery programs from the latest updated program

4 replies [Last post]
Num Lock
User offline. Last seen 11 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Hi guys, I want to make a recovery program from the latest updated program (not the baseline program, but the baseline program with actuals already) in order to meet the deadline. I'm using the columns Earned Value Labor Units (for Actual Progress %) vs. Planned Value Labor Units (for Planned Progress %) columns to compute my progress percentages. Take note that I use the Budgeted Labor Units column to see the total assigned Labor Units on each activities. Now, I will make a copy of the latest updated program (with actuals) so it will be my recovery program. I will change the original and remaining duration of the not started and in progress activities to meet the original deadline. Know the problem is the revised originial and remaining duration of these changed activities affects the column Earned Value Labor Units (it's a mess and this is my real problem) and also I'm finding difficulty in changing the dates so it will meet the original finish date (this is manageble). Is it better to manage the calculation of this Earned Value Labor Units, Planned Value Labor Units, Physical % and Schedule % outside of Primavera once you will do an update on the prepared recovery program which came from the latest updated program? Then just create user defined column and put the values computed in Excel? This is the same scenario when I am making a revised program. My friend told me that when ever he will prepare a recovery program, he will start from scratch, and he will just put the actual start and finish of the latest updated program to the planned start and planned finish of the newly created program. I told him, this is impossible if you have thousands activities.

Replies

George Dawson
User offline. Last seen 12 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

You can always use a project management system to address your problems.

Anning Sofi
User offline. Last seen 5 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I am not in agreement to the proposed method of preparing the recovery programme, by merely tweaking the remaining durations to meet the dates. One of the objectives of the recovery programme is to  demonstrate the contractor's course of action on how he plans to recover from slippage. By merely reducing remaining duration, the planner is not considering that an activity has work content involved, and there is an element of productivity concerned? Attached to this is the element of mobilisation of additional crews or equipment to meet the required production per day based on the reduced remaining duration.

A recovery programme should demonstrate  the input of operations and management teams, engineering and procurement and provide realistic and achievable solutions, work sequence, realisitic duration, manageable, and supported by the available manpower/equipment on site or intended to be mobilized on site, together with the preconstruction works and approvals necessary to allow commencement or completion of the works.

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 21 min ago. Offline

Hi,

What you actually need is a Catch-up Schedule of a chain of activities that you want to adjust until a certain period so that the last activity of this catch-up schedule will match the schedule date of the same activity in your original program. It means that if you adhere with the dates in the Cath-up schedule then you have recovered from the delay. The actuals encoded in the Catch-up Schedule shall then be encoded into the original program.

Hope this will help.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Num

This is totally the wrong approach - you must NOT meddle with the durations of the remaining works just to fit in with the completion date.

First of all look for reasons why the work is late - you may have an EoT claim against the employer or a sub-contractor.

If it is your own company fault then you can look for ways of accelerating the work by valid means such as:

1. Change the logic

2. Increase production by way of:

2.1 Change of work hours

2.2 Increase the gang size within reasonable limits

If that does not produce the required result then report to your manager that the work will be delayed.

Bear in mind that your original programme may be wrong and you could never have completed on time anyway.

Once again - DON'T MEDDLE WITH THE PROGRAMME!

Best regards

Mike Testro