Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Baseline a project, update a project question

4 replies [Last post]
John Sims
User offline. Last seen 10 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I have been planning now for just under a year now and starting to find my feet...

I have a question about when to baseline and re-baseline projects

So i have been collecting all dates, resource, cost ect and building my plan, i have got the client/customer/designer etc to agree the plan and from there i set my first baseline.

When changes are made, for example

1. New work that is out of the project scope is added as it was missed from the original tender

2. New resource is added or swapped on an activity

Do i re-baseline for both of these?

I am using Primavera P6 and it gives you the option to add revisions on your set baseline, do i use a new revision or set a new baseline when re-baselining?

hope thats clear enough!

Thanks

John

Replies

John Sims
User offline. Last seen 10 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks Mike, thats what i have been doing....

I have set the new baseline every time a new activity is introduced.

So would you class changing the resource names of a person working on an activity as a reason to baseline again?

cheers John

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 5 hours 30 min ago. Offline

Not all "baselines" are created equal.

Some are contractual baselines others are not.

Usually a contractual baseline is based from a most probable version of the job and must be approved before it is shown as a contractual baseline in your reports. For contractual baselines follow Mike's advice. The most probable version include buffers at times embedded within the duration of an activity, at other times within artificial non-work hours or days, like artificial holidays, at other times as an explicit buffer activity. Intermediate buffers distort short term schedule and a final single buffer should be reduced as progress happens based on some reduction rule.

On the other hand the use of baselines to display optimistic schedule, to get rid of buffers that artificially "delay" your schedule and to target for optimistic dates in the hope of meeting the contractual dates can be very useful. Just label this baseline as "optimistic target" and use it for your short term projections with no buffers and to manage your job.

The drawback is that it requires you to synchronize two schedules, optimistic updates and contractual updates, a piece of cake in software capable of doing so at a single click of the mouse, an issue in less capable software.

AB Timo
User offline. Last seen 9 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

I am Faiz.have been working for last two years as Planning Engineer Using Primavera V6.

I needed to ask that when I want show a activity on hold how to show it precisely.I tell you my procedure and you tell me that wither it is right or not??

I have an activity named "Mobilization"

The Planned Start is was 11th june 2011..and it started on the planned date i.e, 11th june 2011,

But it was holded due to some reason on 15th june and will remain holded till 18th june.

So I Started the activity..then entered the date of suspension and also the date of resumption.

is it Right??????But in bar chart it delays the activity not showing any different color for the suspended period...how to show it in the bar chart or activity table???

regards,

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi John

The general rule is that you do not change the approved baseline until another baseline is approved - only monitor prigress on the approved baseline.

Save the baseline in a new file for any adjustments and when that is approved call it Baseline R1 or something similar and then continue monitoring progress on that.

Repeat the procedure whenever changes arise.

Best regards

Mike T.