Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Difference between Piping and pipeline, what is Pipeline project and what is cross country pipeline project.

3 replies [Last post]
Shazia khan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

Hi All

I would like konw , basic about pipeline project,

what is cross country Pipeline Project, and pipeline project.

Best Regards

Replies

Shazia khan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

Alex,

Thanks for your explanation this is rely what i was looking for,

construction Sequence. (please correct me if i am wrong)

Piping- Fabrication

Pipe sand Blasting painting                                           

Marking and Bevel cutting.

Welding

NDT

Hydrotes (spool testing.)

Installation if Ground piping if,

Erection.

Erection on the Pipe rack

Welding erected spool pipe

NDT

Hydro test

Chemical cleaning / passivation.

Insulation

or final coat paint.

Pipeline:

Stringing of the pipe (on trench Side)

Welding

NDT

wrapping Coating or insulation of pipe Joint

Lower the pipe in the trench

Back filling of Trenched

Pig Cleaning

Ready for operation.

Please advise me if this correct sequencing.

Alex Iskandar
User offline. Last seen 3 years 20 weeks ago. Offline

hi Shazia, Just for share the knowledge, as I just arrived to this forum ...

Yes Daniel is right, they all pipes, but to increase our knowledge and just want to share what I've learn from the course

(If you are an engineer don't hesitate to ask your manager for getting more training in Engineering, to have training such as Piping and pipeline design etc, would increase your skills for planning)

Piping Terminology;

1. Transmition pipelines: Usually long, relatively large diameter lines, May Tranport Hydrocarbon fluids and or Gas. from prudocing fields to processing plant or refineries.. From plants and refiniries to marketing centers
  2. Flowline: Two phase lines (Non separted HC with two phase (liquid and gas) flows before entering the inlet separator), connecting welss to production manifolds. range from 2 - 20 inches.
  3. Trunkline: Two or more well flowlines connected to a larger line that carries the combined well stream to the production manifold. range from 10 to 42 inches.
  4. Injection lines: Transport high pressure gas or water to wellheads for injection into the producing formation. Fluids are injected for: Reservoir pressure performance, production enhancements, conservation of gas, Gas Lift, Produced water disposal , waterflood, steam flood.
  5. Piping / Plant (Facility) Piping (on plot) : Piping witihin the well defined boundaries of the processing plants, piping compression station or pumping station. Used for a variety of fluids within those boundaries as required.

Warmest regards from Indonesia

Alex Iskandar, PMP

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Shaza Khan,

I do not see any difference at all, they are all pipes to me.

As a planner, what you need to know is basically the diameter of the pipe, the lenght of the pipeline and your welding production rates. You also need to know whether it is above ground or underground. If it is underground you need to know the soil conditions, where the pipe is being laid. If it is above ground you need to construct pipe sleepers to protect the pipe. You need to look at the scope of work. Does it require cathodic protection? Does it require insulaton or painting?

If the pipeline is for Gas or Oil you may need to know about cold cutting and tie-in procedures.

Best regards,

Daniel