Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Engineering, Procurement & Construction S-Curve

6 replies [Last post]
Amr Diab
User offline. Last seen 7 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
In an EPC project, it is requested to prepare the following:

1. Overall Project S-Curve
2. Engineering S-Curve
3. Procurement S-Curve
4. Construction S-Curve

To calculate the construction progress I used the manhours allocated for each task then I generate the S-Curve.

The question is: for the Engineering and Procurement should I allocate manhours in order to be similar as the construction then produce Overall Project S-Curve?

If so, can anybody know manhour rates for the engineering and procurement activities?!!
Regards,
Amr

Replies

mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

I know the thread is old but I thought someone will be interested in the subject.

I have made a small presentation how to handle progress measurement in an EPC contract and the reporting requirement; I made same spread sheets to cover some project control process,

Have a look if interested and any  please if you have better approach please share.

The data in the schedule is just an example, the efficiency used are just random

https://www.box.net/s/ryfxdtnnyhz7qpufgp5l

Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Amr,

The easiest way is to use duration as common matrix.

This will make your life less stressful.

But you have to develop techniques in updating the progress.

Another challenge will happened in the event the baseline will change, hence, re-baselining also the S-curve.

Cheers,
Happy Planning and Scheduling
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Amr,

Producing S-Curves on the basis of manhours is a very cruel way of showing progress, especially in this part of the world as most of the workers come from different part of teh world and they dont have uniform skill set.

If u want to do it sincerely, idle way is to do as what sampath has suggested. From ur experience and company records, assume the quantity of work tto be done per day/week and then assign weightages to major works (Considering Time, Cost and Level of Effort) and then produce S-Curve.

Eg. For Pipe Installations & Commissioning, we used to consider:

Engineering Submittals - 10%
Drawing issue and Approvals - 14%
Excavation - 8%
Installation - 14%
Lamination - 10%
Partial Backfilling - 8%
Hydrotesting - 14%
Jacketing - 10%
Final backfilling - 7%
Miscellaneous works - 5%

Similarly, u can develop Curves for Engineering, Procurement, Construction and OVERALL S-Curves by assigning different weightages.
Sampath Lakshmi N...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Normally the etter way for Eng & Proc S curve is assigning weightages for deliverables and submittals. This can be both based on cost, Priority and level of effort. Then distribute the weighted units from start date to finish date and u will get a good s curve.
Mohammed Mujtaba
User offline. Last seen 10 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Amr,

The procurement s-curve can be obtained same as the way u got for construction. Just allocate manhours for each material and get the s-curve for procurement.

For overall project s-curve, fist step is to divide the construction,engineering and procurement into percentages. U can divide them base upon the project cost..

Then prepare a sheet based upon the planned percentage of proc,engineering & const.

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Amr,
If you are working in a company that has an Engineering Department and a Procurement Department, then your best sources for information are the people working in these departments.

My advice is to include all the people who will have input to your Schedule and consider them as "shareholders". Ask them for the time required to complete the activities in your Schedule. It depends on their experience, systems, and type of project.

Best Regards,

Samer