Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Manufacturing Schedule

1 reply [Last post]
Brandon Shaw
User offline. Last seen 18 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Situation Background: I have 5 years experience as a Junior project controls tech in the industrial construction field. I was responsible for alot of data entry, schedule maintenance, cost analysis, estimating and so forth. Now I have decided to stop traveling and have taken the position as scheduler for a manufacturing plant at home. We build Heat Exchangers. Currently they use a system on the AS400 called Progress400 or DCD.

Problem: This system is way out of date. I wasn’t aware of the situation untill after hire and they knew my background was in MS Project or Suretrak. However, I want to keep this job so I was wondering if any of you have ever worked with any older progressing programs such as DCD. It deals in all flat text file and makes reporting nearly impossible on a visually pleasing level. I also intend to bring these guys into the 21st century, but am unsure which software would work best on a manufacturing level. There are alot of redundancies in the process of building an exchanger and the only thing that varies between the types are thicknesses of baffles, nozzle orientations etc. So any recommendations on which software would work best are welcome. Please don’t flame me if you find this post lacking info to help you help me. If I left something out, just politely request it from me and I will deliver if you have the time to help.

Thanks in Advance,
Brandon Shaw

Replies

Software that is used for simulating manufacturing (and creating manufacturing schedules) may be found among MES systems.
Some enterprises use Spider Project for simulating manufacturing but this package was created for projects and does not simulate change-overs. If they do not take a long time in your processes then you can try it. It is not clear from your post what data are used as an input and what output shall be achieved. If you want to discuss the task write to me.
Best Regards,
Vladimir Liberzon
spider@mail.cnt.ru