Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MSC /Higher Degree in Project Planning

14 replies [Last post]
Nadeem Akram
User offline. Last seen 12 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Friends,

I am working as Senior Engineer in Building Department in United Kingdom.
I asked my director , want to become a planner ,he is kind enough to give me oppertunity to become a planner.
Hopefully i will be assisting a Senior Planner asta power project planner for a few weeks.

I have got 18 year Civil Engineering Experience and I did 40 day course in Primavera Project Planning.
Can any friend please guide me Is any Institution /College/University offer part time MSC- OR BSc Degree in Project Planning . I have Done BSc Civil Engineering and I want to do MSc in Project Planning.Improve my planning education.
Can any one please guide me where I can do in UK?
mY e-mail is nadeem.akram@hotmail.com please reply me asap.

Kind Regards

Nadeem Akram
United Kingdom

Replies

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Ahmed,

PMP is a abreviation for Project Management Professional. You need to have around 4 years of experience in project management as a condition for your application to be accepted in addition to other requirements.

I would recommend that you buy the PMBOK 4th addition and read it a few times. You can buy it directly from www.pmi.org, or from www.amazon.com. Then maybe take a course for PMP certification. You will learn about project management and understand more about the exam.

In the Middle East the Project Management Institute opened its chapter following the request of Saudi Aramco. This chapter is called the PMI-Arabian Gulf Chapter. It manages the six counties in the gulf.

www.pmi-agc.com

So, you can contract the PMI Arabian Gulf Chapter and ask when they are holding another course. Or you can go to their meetings if your are in the eastern province. I am sure that they also hold events in Riyadh and Jeddah.

Usually, it is recommended that a person takes certification about every few years in order to keep their information up to date in their field.

With kind regards,

Samer
AHMED HASSAN
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Mr. Samer,

Really gr8ful for your time and advice.

Please can u tell me how can I prepare myself for these certifications.

Also if u or anybody else can explain me what is PMP in simple words, as I am really confused (how to prepare and do it).

Regards,

Ahmed

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Ahmed,

You can have a look at the www.pmi.org:
and check the certifications that they have. Usually they require around 4 years experienec to take the exams
› CAPM® › PMI-RMP®
› PMP® › PMI-SP®
› PgMP®

Or www.aacei.org;
and you can take the following exams:

AACE® International’s Certified Cost Consultant™ (CCC™) / Certified Cost Engineer™ (CCE™)

AACE® International’s Certified Estimating Professional™ (CEP™)

AACE® International’s Certified Forensic Claims Consultant™ (CFCC™)

AACE® International’s Earned Value Professional™ (EVP™)

AACE® International’s Planning & Scheduling Professional™ (PSP™)

AACE® International’s Certified Cost Technician™ (CCT™)

Good luck,

With kind regards,

Samer
AHMED HASSAN
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Gentlemen,

Presently I am in Saudi Arabia. I m looking to enhance my academic background but i m not interested in Masters in project management. Kinldy guide me how can i do so by some international standard certifications.

Also i want to know if anybody can guide me ... what are the softwares mostly used in Austrailia.

Thanks

Ahmed
Sajid Syed
User offline. Last seen 12 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Nadeem

can you tell me about this 40 days training of yours

Regards
David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 11 hours ago. Offline
A quick update on the offerings of Loughborough University which would suit those already in employment or who can’t access full-time or part-time courses:

Department of Civil and Building Engineering
Construction Project Management (Work Based Distance Learning)
MSc 3 years part-time – Work Based Distance Learning

This course has been specifically designed with the busy professional in mind and is offered jointly with Heriot Watt University. Modules are delivered mainly through the Web, with facilities for students to interact with colleagues and staff.

On successful completion of the compulsory modules by the end of the second year, students undertake a Personal Research Dissertation in the third year. Options are available for Diploma and Certificate levels, to suit individual student needs and circumstances. Substantial bursaries are available for UK students. Students can start the course in January or October.

The department of Civil and Building Engineering is one of the leading departments of its type in the world. In the most recent Government-backed RAE, the Department was awarded a maximum 5* in Built Environment, confirming its international excellence and reputation.

See http://www.lboro.ac.uk/prospectus/pg/courses/dept/cv/cpm_dl/index.htm for details.
Jonathan Russell
User offline. Last seen 13 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
The University of Teesside is running a Foundation Degree in Project Controls. this may be the closest thing you can get unless you wish to do an MSc in Project Management.
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks, Hatem. Please do keep in touch.

Regards,

Gary
Hatem Mahmoud
User offline. Last seen 2 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Gary,

I didn’t yet. But I am in the process of searching for a place which provide preparation course then I will take the exam. I will let you know as soon as I find something.

Best regards,

Hatem
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Hatem,

Did you do your PSP course whilst in the UK? I’m looknig to do the same, but the enarest test centre I can find is in Norway! -Where did you take your exam?

Thanks,

Gary
David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 11 hours ago. Offline
Nadeem

I am obviously biased but I did my MSc in Construction Management at 5* Loughborough University. Some of the modules on the course ‘teach’ planning and programming and I even went back some years later to sit an additional/new module in Design Planning.

They have outstanding staff there and I took the opportunity to study a particular aspect of planning and programming in my final report (dissertation) and I was fortunate enough to have Professor Andrew Baldwin as my academic supervisor. He was part of the team who developed the ADePT methodology. I also have great respect for Professor Simon Austin (he was also part of the ADePT team) and Professor Patricia Carrillo, she is currently Postgraduate Programme Director and Postgraduate Programme Tutor for the MSc in Construction Management and MSc in Construction Project Management programmes and has a special interest in Construction Project Planning.

Have a look at http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/cv/pg/index.html for a start. You will see there are links to MSc Construction Project Management and to MSC Construction Project Management (work-based distance learning). The latter might suit your needs better if you are already in employment and can’t take a year off.

Good luck.
smiling shagger
User offline. Last seen 15 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
If am not mistaken , u could try find a uni which is close situated to SOHO , London. because if u feel headache in class, you could probably have a real good spanking in soho.

Hempfully,
smilingshagger
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Nadeem,

You might find this link useful as it gives information about the MSc in strategic Project Planning at Heriot-Watt University.

Alternatively you could always go for Doctor of Project Management with the University of South Australia. I’m not sure, but I think you can go for a distance learning option on this one.

Hope this is useful

Chris Oggham
Hatem Mahmoud
User offline. Last seen 2 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Nadeem,

I didn’t hear about MSc. in planning but there is MSc. in construction management or project management which include a planning course. I find it better to go through a PSP course (Planning & scheduling Professional - AACE)it will be very helpful to gain a great planning knowledge.

Best Regards