Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Copy Protect on Power Point Files

9 replies [Last post]
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi All

This is not a planning matter but I would like to be able to stop a power Point file being copied by others.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 41 min ago. Offline
Mike,

I think that what Alexandre suggests should work. Make sure you cannot edit the watermark; maybe you can save the slides as picture files and then into pdf or back into Power Point.

PDF files not from a scan can be edited to some extent with Adobe Acrobat Pro.

Always keep editable files and their backups.

Keep open the option for very long and difficult to crack passwords. Microsoft site have some suggestions. These passwords can only be cracked by “Brute Force” methods and will take so long will deter almost anyone.

A combination af all tricks plus a long password will drive crazy any hacker.

Best regards,
Rafael
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi All

Thank you all for your valued input - you have confirmed what I thought - it can’t be done.

So I will fall back on printing and binding and distributing hard copies - if anyone wants to scan pages and convert to powerpoint then let them.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
Mike,

A few months ago an owner sent us an MS Excel spreadsheet password protected; I unlocked it using Elcomsoft MSO Password Recovery and recovered the hidden password. This was the spreadsheet where we were to submit our bids.

Even MS Windows have been hacked, but general use software seems to be easier to unlock.

http://www.elcomsoft.com/

For PDF files I still prefer PDF Password remover.

Best regards,
Rafael
Scarllet Pimpernel
User offline. Last seen 12 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
I would suggest

Make a hard copy.

Then delete the file, throw in the re-cycle bin. In this way nobody can copy the power point file.

Simple

Thank you,
Scarlett
Rubas M. Kutty
User offline. Last seen 10 years 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Mike

If your intention is to have unique users or if you wish to protect users from making changes, the best way might be to set a password for the PPT file. In any other case, if the powerpoint is opened, the content could be copied.

For setting up the password: Tools>Options>Security>Password to Open/Modify

Kind regards

Rubas
Rafael Davila
Very PDF Password remover can remove the protection at the click of the mouse, very fast no need of "brute force".

100% success up to date. You can e-mail me your PDF I will return it unlocked.

Best regards,
Rafael