Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

XML import failure

No replies
Rodney Jones
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Everyone,

I am having problems importing two MSP files that are saved as xml format. I have tried on our corporate SQLServer V20 and also on my Standalone SQLite V21.

The V20 import log just says Import: Failed

The V21 import gives me a message as Import Successful but the schedule does not appear in my projects list and the log file says, yep, you guessed it, Import: Failed.

Both times the xml file fails to import. Any ideas? I am happy to share the MSP files for you to play with.

Thanks, RJ

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline

MSP to P6 never works well, its not the XML file format, its just the difference in the two applications. If its something you need to do often, I recommend looking into a Ms PRoject plugin called XER Transfer as the best option.

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 4 days 3 hours ago. Offline

Hi Rodney,

Common error for importing MSP Project coverted to XML file is due to one of the following:

• Long File name that exceed to P6 Project ID - P6 behavior when importing MSProject file is use the File name as project id.
  • Long Description - MSProject Task Description is used to WBS description Group task and Activity name for Task. These description should not exceed than 100 character or less for WBS.
  • Resource assign to WBS or Task Group
  • Link to WBS or Task Group

If you can share the MSP file to me, I can easily check the issue for you.