Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Importing activity codes in xer file

10 replies [Last post]
Bradley Gibbs
User offline. Last seen 1 year 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi

The first client xer programme that I import into a fresh standalone database will include the activity code assignments. However, when I import further updated xer files, the activity code assignments are not imported.

Would be grateful if anyone is aware of this issue or has a solution.

Regards

Brad

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 13 min ago. Offline

Hi Bradley,

Importing EPS activity codes in P6 (any version) will not be imported because it need to have the same EPS layout, Name and EPS unique ID assigned by the database. The work around to import EPS activity code is by editing the xer using xer parser builder (or using any text editor if you are familiar with P6 database otherwise not recommended). Under the ACTVTYPE table, you have to change or replace the AS_EPS to AS_GLOBAL or AS_PROJECT on actv_code_type_scope field then build the XER. Activity code will be imported to Global or Project which ever is selected.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

during the import change theimport option anbd select insert new for the activity codes item

Bradley Gibbs

Hi Rodel

I also was not certain if the statement in the article applied to importing xers.

Nevertheless, I have checked with the client, their programme still contains activity code assignments. The fact is when they create a v 20.12 xer and I import it, the activity codes are missing. They provided me with the same programme as a v 15.2 xer, and project level codes and global codes have now been imported.

So part of the statement, i.e. "it has become more difficult to import a large number of activities into P6 with their Activity Codes" seems relevant to some extent.

Unfortuntely even as a v 15.2 xer, EPS codes are not imported, I recall seeing an article relevant to this specific issue which I will have to try and find again.

Regards

Brad

Rodel Marasigan

Hi Bradley,

Importing activity codes on xer project is nothing to do with importing activity codes with SDK and or excel. There should not be any issue if importing with xer. 

This statement is nothing to do with XER.
"it has become more difficult to import a large number of activities into P6 with their Activity Codes, because the Codes have to exist in P6 before importing the activities" 

Building library is different than importing activity codes from Project XER if included in the xer and assigned on the activities.

You can check the xer using text file reader (i.e. wordpad, notepad..etc) and search for ACTVTYPE, ACTVCODE and TASKACTV with %T in front. If all of these table is present on the xer then you should not have problem importing it to P6 database.

Bradley Gibbs

Hi Rafael

I will need to double check that the client is still assigning activity codes. But from the Eastwood Harris brief:

"Since Orical (sic) Primavera stopped supporting the Excel spread sheet that allowed the importing of Activity Codes using the SDK it has become more difficult to import a large number of activities into P6 with their Activity Codes, because the Codes have to exist in P6 before importing the activities."

For my current case, this is only an issue with the more recent v 20.12 .xers, whereas the older v 15.2 .xers import with the code assignments with no problem. It will be frustrating if this transpires to be due to Oracle no longer supporting activity code assignments when importing xers. And if that is the case does anyone know in which version they stopped supporting this functionality?

Regards

Brad

Bradley Gibbs

Hi Rodel

I am not updating an existing project as I require a full set of contemporaneous programmes for a forensic windows analysis.

I opened the file as a .txt in excel and there is no data in the "total_assignments" column, so I will check with the client if they are still assigning codes.

However, I do not have this issue in v 15.2 .xers. It is only a problem in the v 20.12 .xers . As per the document link in Rafael's post,  you have to love Oracle:

"it has become more difficult to import a large number of activities into P6 with their Activity Codes, because the Codes have to exist in P6 before importing the activities"

Watch this space!

Regards

Brad

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 5 hours 1 min ago. Offline

Try the following link.

Importing Activity Codes into P6 using XER file and Excel

Please note that if you are not careful, this is a very quick way of corrupting your database.

Rodel Marasigan

Did you check the updated xer if the activity codes still exist and assigned to activities. You can easily check using excel xer purser or import the xer to the new project instead of updating the existing project.

Bradley Gibbs

Thanks Rodel - but update existing is selected, so this does not resolve my issue.

Rodel Marasigan

When you import the updated xer files, did you check the import configuration? Makes sure that the import actions is update existing. Your selection are as follows:

1 Do not import
2 Insert New
3 Keep Existing
4 Update Existing

You need to make sure that on Activity Codes and Assignment Codes Values are set to Update Existing