Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 removes remaining labour units and costs when actualising finish.

8 replies [Last post]
Thomas Nicholson
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all, 

I'm just after some clarification rather than help for a change. it's something we've not noticed before and it could just be us but when we actualise the finish date of an activity has P6 always removed remaining costs and units automatically?  My planners and I are sure we've had to work on costs after doing this in the past. 

I just want to be sure in case someone in our organisation has changed a setting I can't see offhand to make it do this all of a sudden. 

Cheers

Thom

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

you can change it if you want to 

Thomas Nicholson

Zoltan, 

I knew there was a setting somewhere for it, thank you for that but I take your point about done is done. 

cheers

Thom

Thomas Nicholson

Zoltan, 

I knew there was a setting somewhere for it, thank you for that but I take your point about done is done. 

cheers

Thom

Zoltan Palffy

if you do not want to do this then turn the setting off

go to projects directory 

then the calculations tab

on the right resource assignments

under when updaing Actual units or costs uncheck Recalculate Actual Units and costs whne duration % complete changes

Thomas Nicholson

Hi Zoltan, 

I know I know, but it's one of those things I'm sure we've never seen our system do before.  Usually we've had to sort the remaining and costs ourselves.  Logically it makes sense, we've just got to sort the costs before pushing the button. 

Thank you as always for being the voice of reason. 

Thom

Zoltan Palffy

done is done why would you have any remaining unless you completed it in less time than planned ?

Zoltan Palffy

done is done why would you have any remaining unless you completed it in less time than planned ?

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 33 min ago. Offline

Hi Thomas,

That is correct. P6 will automatically removed remaining Cost and remaining Unit when actualised the finished date. If you have actualised the cost and units to less or greater than budgeted unit / cost then tick the actual finished date, therefore what ever remaining unit/ cost will be removed. The main reason is if the Activity is completed then no more remaining duration. It's self explanatory. If no more remaining duration, therefore no duration left to hold the remaining cost/ unit. You cannot assume 0 duration can hold cost or unit.