Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Actual Units of previous updates changes after every new updates

7 replies [Last post]
Jegede Olorire
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hello Great Minds,

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I observed that after every new progress update in P6, the wysiwyg_imageupload::actual units of past progress update changes. Please find below an example. In January update, the actual unit for activity A1020 is 64.77. After February Update it changes to 74.03, Is there some settings I need to activate or is it just a P6 problem. To solve the problem I use store period performance but I think there is a problem with my settings. Please your knowledge and experience is needed. Thank you again for your inputs.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

it will only correct itself you add the resource again. 

The rules that were in effect at the time that you assigned the resource to the activity remain in effect.

If you were to add resources with the new settings then it would not calculate the actuals if you changed the setting. 

If you start another project and dont want the actuals to add that way then put the settings the way that I posted them,

Jegede Olorire

Hi Zoltan, I unchecked the Recalculate Actual Units and Cost when duration % complete changes, the result I got is still the same.

I guess I will stick to the store period performance. Thanks for your suggestion.

Jegede Olorire

Thank you very much Rodel for the suggestion. You are a LEGEND.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

1. you sould always use store period performance

2. If you look at the calcuations tab setting at the Project level on the right under Resource assignments you probally have Recalcuate Actual units and cost when duration % complete changes. This will do this as it should when you progress the schedule. If you dont want this then uncheck that box.

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 15 hours 27 min ago. Offline

Hi Jegede,

Primavera (P6) behavior is to spread the cost/ unit to the latest datadate that is why it will keep changing the spread on each timeline. If you wanted to freeze the actual, you have to used the store period performance. You can direct the Power BI to pick-up the data from the TASKFIN table if your source is direct link to P6 Database. If you are using excel as your power bi source using P6 Data, Use the At Completion Cummulative data and create a formula to deduct the previous sum to get the period this week total. Always paste value the previous cut-off date and don't overwrite.

Jegede Olorire

Hello Rodel,

Thank you for your suggestion, I really appreciate it.

I untick the 'Recalculate Actual Units and Cost when duration % complete change' and it is still the same. Below is the case.

case_study.png

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 15 hours 27 min ago. Offline

Hi Jegede,

I cannot see your sample as the image is not showing or the link for sample is not working.

My recommendation is checked the setting for % complete type. It is set to duration and the calculation settings for resource assignment is "Recalculate Actual Units and Cost when duration % complete change" is tick then every time your data date change. Duration % complete change, therefore you progress will change. Percent complete type should be set to Physical so your manual update will not be change and remove the tick on "Recalculate Actual Units and Cost when duration % complete change"