Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How do you get around the required (changing)WBS import export requirement/issue?

4 replies [Last post]
John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 1 week 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None

How do you get around the required (changing)WBS import export requirement/issue? i must be missing something.  It is crazy that you cannot import the cost accounts and costs.  I am simply importing the costs from an original file to a later file of the same name.  Costs import fine.  I will only import the cost accounts if you also import the WBS - and being that the WBS uses the project name, even though the same file that rev number is different and over-writes the WBS and blanks out most of it because of the slight name difference - how crazy is this.  Let me know if a way around this, I must be missing something.  Its crazy, why not just activity ID's like it used to be?

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

try this

1. copy the project that has all of the cost codes

2. create a dummy activity in the project that has all of the cost codes and assign ALL of the cost codes to that dummy activity

3. delete all other activitiies

4. export that project with the 1 activity to an xer file 

5. open the project that you want all of the cost codes in and import the xer file 

6. during the import process select add to existing 

7. in the next part of the import process select modify and check do not import for all items except the 1st section for activity and import the one activity project inot the other project

8. now delete the dummy activity in the opened project

John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 1 week 1 day ago. Offline

Thanks - both of you for both answers.  

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

depends on what version you are using. If you have a 32 bit machine with p6 on it you can import the cost codes suing an excel spreadsheet. 

or you can use sdk

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline

John,

P6 treats data ina databse not as files, so if you consider that the same Activity ID can exist in multiple projects, then there must be something in the database that create a unique value for each activity. In the case of P6 - projects, project ID's and the corresponding WBS ID are all stored in the same data table and by requiring each activity ID to have a corresponding WBS ID is how that uniqueness is obtained.

The easiest solution to your problem would be to use Excel's Search and Replace field to modify the WBS ID column in your import file such that the PROJECT ID/WBS ID matches the new project you are going to import into.