Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Export P6 to MS Project

15 replies [Last post]
Muhammad Saqib
User offline. Last seen 4 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear All,

I want to export the Primavera P6 project into MS Project Software. The clients want the file in MS Project format.

I export the file in MPX version but i doesn't opened on MS Project and displays an error that this file cannot be opened . Then i export in XML 2002/3 and again it shows an error. i opened these files on MS Project 2016.

Please explain me the procedure how to export and also import if client send me the same updated file in MS Project format and then i have to import it on P6.

Thanks

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

xertransfer is avery good tool that lets you import a P6 xer file without comnerting it and you can also save a MSP project as a P6 xerf file.

https://xertransfer.com/

Sterling Gallagher
User offline. Last seen 1 year 8 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Muhammad

There is a new tool just released that allows you to import an XER file into MSP called XerTransfer.  From there you can just save the file as an MPP file.  You can download a trial licence and still have the functionality you need for a period of time.  Its compatible with Microsoft Project 2013, 2016 & 2019.  You can also save to XER file format with this tool from Microsoft Project.  Take a look for yourself its very simple to use.

https://xertransfer.com/

Sterling

Muhammad Saqib

Thank You so much Raphael . I have the latest version 18.8 but i don't know which version client is using for MS Project.

Muhammad Saqib

Thank You So Much Zita. I will try and let you know.

Thanks Again

Muhammad Saqib

Thank You So Much Zita. I will try and let you know.

Thanks Again

Zoltan Palffy

make sure that there are no blank lines in the MSP project

make sure that a wbs field is not empty

make sure to uncheck Project Summary Task in the format ribbon

To have an MSP export of a planning made in P6, you should consider 2 steps;

Step 1: Export P6 to MSP-xml file (please make sure you opted what you want to export as data like Baseline 1, date 1, date 2, duration 1, duration 2, text 1 = activity code 1, etc.), once opted export to xml and save the xml file anywhere you want.

Step 2: Open in your unit the MSP and click for "open project", see that your option as file is "ALL", then go to where the xml file is. Once you open the file, it will be opted to your MSP if you want it to open as a NEW PROJECT, click for that option and then once opening is on success. Modify the columns (activity layout) of your MSP. Once modify as to your satisfaction/needs then opt for SAVE AS, then save it to mpp (microsoft project) version that you client has. Most of the time it will me MSP 2013.

Hope this helps.

Raphael M. Dua
User offline. Last seen 2 years 29 weeks ago. Offline

With current version of P6, V18.8.10 you can export in XML format

MS Project 2019, reads in XML formats

You may need to modify the sub schema to copy all your extra data you may have added

Muhammad Saqib

Thanks Alexandra. 

I will try and let you know. 

Muhammad Saqib

Sir,

In my P6 Software, there is no MPP option available.

Only MPX and XML different versions

Muhammad Saqib

Sir,

In my P6 Software, there is no MPP option available.

Only MPX and XML different versions

Zoltan Palffy

try exporting from p6 to Microsoft Project xml 2007 or expot to  Microsoft Project MPP

MPX is a much older version that is why MSP can not open it unless you are using an old version

Muhammad Saqib
But only these two formats available in export option. XML and MPX.
Zoltan Palffy

export the project as an MPP NOT as an MPX or xml