Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Leveling in Primavera P6 is taking too much time

5 replies [Last post]
Mehdi Ridene
User offline. Last seen 4 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear all,

I have an issue with my primavera schedule, when I use the leveling option it takes too much time (like 10 Minutes) which is real problem since every time I make a change I need to level to see the impact.

22.jpg

Please I request your help to give me ideas for the troubleshooting.

Thank you

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 48 min ago. Offline
Mehdi Ridene
User offline. Last seen 4 years 1 week ago. Offline

Hallo,

Thank you for your replies.

I found the solution, the issue was in calendars that belong to other project. So what I had to do is reassign own project calendars.

Best Regards,

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 48 min ago. Offline

How many resources and how are distributed among competing activities can be a significant complicating factor that makes it very hard to estimate resource leveling duration.

Out of curiosity how many activities is the schedule?

Hand/manual leveling the schedule requires a tedious process where the scheduler systematically delays some activities until all resource overloads are erased. It can be very difficult to discern if the soft logic used is interfering with the optimum solution for resource leveling. 

Updating the hand leveled schedule is even more tedious as it requires erasing all “soft dependencies” or there is high risk the updated schedule will be far from optimal, only after removing the old/temporary "soft dependencies" is that manual leveling can proceed.  Comparing computer times without taking into consideration the abysmal difference in time it takes to resource level and update the schedule if using manual versus automatic methods is myopic.

It would be naive to believe the average scheduler will get better alternate schedules if using “soft logic” than if using modern resource leveling algorithms on schedules with resources and activities count in the thousands.

If the schedule is really large and complex ten minutes does not look too slow. 

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

try doing this by hand and see how long it takes you maybe running out of space the 4 gig space limit