Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

One Resource Across Multiple Departments

2 replies [Last post]
Matthew Walker
User offline. Last seen 4 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I just started with an engineering company that needs some real help with their scheduling system.

The first priority is being able to produce a staffing plan from the schedule. The issue I'm running into is that our Instrumentation and Electrical group shares resources. Joe Schmo could work 10 hours on Electrical work and 30 hours in Instrumentation work. I need a way to track Joe Schmo's total hours but also separate out his work in the two different departments.

What is the best way to do this within P6?

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None

make it a global resource and then also use roles so you can assign Joe Shmoe. 

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

For example, Create a Resource Calendar setting the Time 8am-6pm every M-W-F (Department 1), 8am-1pm every T-Th (Department 2).