Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 Tracking Progress

11 replies [Last post]
Carlos Santos
User offline. Last seen 3 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi

I have started with P6 few months ago.

My issue is:

Tracking progress on status tab: task Fixed Duration and Units, % complete type Physical. I chek the started, then Remaining days and % Physical based on actual and remaining days. If the task is delayed all resources updated however the actuals only updated accordingly the original duration. Why? How can I fix this?

Please help me.

My email: cfps5001@gmail.com

Regards,

Carlos

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 35 min 54 sec ago. Offline

Carlos I understood the activity was not interrupted and delay was related to duration increase. In any case your statement seems to indicate you desire to calculate remaining units keeping the units/time for the resource constant, in such case try using Fixed Duration & Units/Time.

About P6 Duration Types

Duration type is the basis for estimating the selected activity's completion time. It determines whether the schedule, resource availability, or costs are most important when updating activities. The duration type applies only when you have resources assigned to the activity. Select one of the following duration types based on which factor is most important (least flexible) in planning your project: Fixed Duration & Units/Time, Fixed Duration & Units, Fixed Units/Time, or Fixed Units.

Fixed Duration & Units/Time or Fixed Duration & Units: Indicate that the schedule is a limiting factor in your project. The activity's duration does not change regardless of the number of resources assigned when you modify or update activities. You usually select one of these duration types when you are using task-dependent activities. When you update the remaining duration for the activity, you can select to calculate either the remaining units or the units per time period. The duration type enables you to control which variables of an equation are calculated when you change a value.

If you want to recalculate the remaining units and keep the units/time for the resource constant, select Fixed Duration & Units/Time. The application uses the equation: Remaining Units = Units/Time x Remaining Duration. For example, if a resource is assigned to an activity for 8 hours/day for 5 days, the remaining units or work is calculated as 40 hours.

If instead you want to keep the remaining units constant and recalculate the units/time, select Fixed Duration & Units. The application uses the equation: Units/Time = Remaining Units/Remaining Duration. For example, if a resource is assigned to work 40 hours in 5 days, the units/time is calculated as 8 hours/day.

Fixed Units/Time: Indicates that resource availability is the most critical aspect of your project. In this case, the units/time or rate of the resource remain constant, even if the activity’s duration or work effort changes. You most often use this duration type when you are planning resource-dependent activities.

Fixed Units: Indicates that the budget (units or cost) is a limiting factor; that is, the total amount of work is fixed. When you update activities, the work effort required to complete the activity does not change, even if the activity's duration or the resource rate changes. Typically, you would use this type in conjunction with resource-dependent activities. Increasing resources can decrease the activity duration.

I use different software and the updating approach is different. We still have to select our calculation options based on how remaining duration and remaining resource distribution is to be calculated.  In some cases some of the parameters must be adjusted to reflect actual/projected performance. 

Good luck.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

my answer is to uses suspend and resume 

Zoltan Palffy

my answer is to uses suspend and resume 

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 35 min 54 sec ago. Offline
Carlos Santos

Hi Zoltan

Thank you very much for your answer.

All my work life I have been used the MS Project.

Since few monyhs ago I changed to P6.

Probably I expect the same behave and funtionality in P6.

My probçlem is: How can I reflect an activity delay (1,2,3...days) in P6?

And How should the resources also be reflected?

Example: 5 DAYS DURATION ACTIVITY

At 5th day doing status I realize the activity is delayed (1 day)

Tha activity started as planed.

So we have worked 5 days but we need 1 day more to finish it.

The duration 5 should be 5/6 = 83,33% instead 80%.

Remaining 1 day

CheckING THE RESOURCES ACTUALS the P6 tells me 4 days worked and 1 day remaining???

Carlos Santos

Hi Alexandre

Thank you very much for your answer.

All my work life I have been used the MS Project.

Since few monyhs ago I changed to P6.

Probably I expect the same behave and funtionality in P6.

My probçlem is: How can I reflect an activity delay (1,2,3...days) in P6?

And How should the resources also be reflected?

Example: 5 DAYS DURATION ACTIVITY

At 5th day doing status I realize the activity is delayed (1 day)

Tha activity started as planed.

So we have worked 5 days but we need 1 day more to finish it.

The duration 5 should be 5/6 = 83,33% instead 80%.

Remaining 1 day

CheckING THE RESOURCES ACTUALS the P6 tells me 4 days worked and 1 day remaining???

Zoltan Palffy

this cant be you cant have  "an activity 5 days duration that finish today 06-02-2019"

if it finished today there is NO REMAINING duration and percent complete is 100%

If you want to replects this do not check the finished box and make the remaing duration 1 day.

IF the predecessor has been completed the the remaining duration in 1 day will finish on the data date of 06-02-2019

If you want it to finish on 7/2/19 then the remaining duration must be 21 days or

you could make the remaining duraiton 1 and put a suspend date of 6/1/2019  and a resume date of 7/2/2019 in 

or you could add a new activity for 21 days that says why you were delayed and make its successor the activity that was delayed that still has 1 day remaining

Carlos Santos

Thank you very much for the answers.

My problem is:

Have an activity 5 days duration that finish today 06-02-2019

This activity has labour and material resources with same duration.

Tracking Progress, Status tab:

Check start

Remaining 1 day, activity is delayed (will be finished on 07-02-2019)

Schedule, data date 06-02-2019

Result Duraton % = 80% and resources actuals also 80%

This not reflect the real that should be 5/6 days worked and 1/6 remaining for activity and all resources.

Zoltan Palffy

run a global change 

tools global change

where physical % complete is greater than 0

then duration % complete = physical % complete 

then on the right select change

then on the bottom select comitt