Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource loading

8 replies [Last post]
Gowhar Mir
User offline. Last seen 5 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi there.

I am doing resouce loading via excel and then I import the file into P6. I wanted to know, if someone among you is using this method, how to properly represent the data after importing it.

for example a certain activity uses 12 mandays on calculation in excel when I import that activity, I am importing the mandays. Right? So is there a certain setting that needs to be done in default units/time say change that to 1/d from 8/d? Also, when I have imported this data, how can I properly obtain the manpower histogram? I mean do I need to divide the value in manpower histogram by 26 (number of working days in a month) as I am using mandays while importing?

To specify this.

I exported the Labour resources data into excel and from there I calculated the manpower needed in a month that turns out to be some 15000 units, if i divide that by number of working days, that is still around 500 which in my opinion is more. Am I doing something wrong here?

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Andy you have most of the correct setting but the one big one that you forgot to mention is to make sure that on the resource that calculate cost from units is NOT checked. If this is checked then the values from excel will not import.

Annamalai (Andy) ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 34 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Gowhar, 

From your initial query I wasnt able to work out of your importing resource assignments via excel for Budgeted (Labour / Non Labour Units) or if you are using this method for Actual / Remaining & At completion units. 

If you are using the excel import method for Auctal / Remaining & At Cmpletion it is important to get your project set up right in your EPS node: Under "Calculations">>"Resource Assignment" section. (Snapshot below). 

I have run into a few problems in the past because I didnt have my initial set up right while using the import method.

capture.jpg

Zoltan Palffy

in the resource loading you can tell it to calculate the average based on the time scale selected it wil divide it for you not math needed

Nahush Jain
User offline. Last seen 5 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

To know the actual labors needed per day, you can adjust the timescale in primavera to week/day. This will give you the resource per day (i.e. Units) based on the activities you scheduled. Else for average manpower divide the units for the month by number of working days. As you said its around 500, which you feel is more, then you need to check your resource calculations & the activities during the specific month.

Gowhar Mir
User offline. Last seen 5 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks, Nahush. Yes, I use the excel method to represent my data. You mentioned to use 1/d units which I think is the correct way of representation since the productivity also is per day. Now, as I asked above, I am getting 15000 units of labor in a particular month, how am I supposed to interpret that data? How can I know the number of actual labors to be needed per day?

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 16 min ago. Offline
Nahush Jain
User offline. Last seen 5 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

-Importing the data.

Suppose you have a screed activity for 3 days & you calculated the resource requirement of 6 mandays i.e 6 units

Assign the resource (mason) to activity – initially keep units 1/d > Export data into excel > Copy calculated resources against the activities & import.

Check for any errors- ex. Screed activity should display now 2 units/day.

-Data representation

Method 1-You can use the resource usage profile to represent the data.

Method 2- Representation in excel format

Go to Resource Assignments > Filter the resource (if applicable & if available tradewise)> In Timescale area - select Timesacle-Weekly or Monthly (as per requirement) & display Budgeted Units > Copy the Project Units in excel & create a histogram 

- If a 6 day calendar is assigned, it will display the total mandays required for 6 days & follow on (if you are using mandays).

Zoltan Palffy

8 hours per day and the manhours are the manhours 

then edit view resource usage profile and then tune on automoatically divide by the time scale