Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Default units/time

6 replies [Last post]
Gowhar Mir
User offline. Last seen 5 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

How will changing the default units/time from 1/d to 8/d or vice versa effect the calculations? I changed them in my schedule and so far didn't notice any change.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

yes change it to 1

Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 7 hours ago. Offline

It depends on what your User Preferences are set to.

In your User Preferences - Time Units - If both the Units format AND Durations Format both state Days, then the number beside the resource will show number of resources PER DAY that will be allocated by Default to new activities.

If you have only 1 resource, then it will show as 1.00/d if decimals shown, or 1/d if decimals are not shown

If you change your preferences to show the Units Format to Hours & keep the duration setting at Days, then the Default Units/Time will change to show the number based on Hours per day - i.e. the same resource will now be shown as 8/d for 1 resource based on an 8 Hour calendar.

If both are changed to show as Hours then it will now display as 1/h - 1 resource per hour.

If you are working in days, then make sure that both the settings are set to Days, then the number beside the associated Resource will be the total number of that Resource allocated for each working day by default.

These settings will also affect how the resources are shown for the Activity Resource Allocations.

Please remember that the Default Units/Time will only affect new resource allocations to activities. You will need to update the Budgeted Units/Time for each activity that already has resources allocated to them.

The Default Units/Time will also not change the number of that resouce available per day - this needs to be updated in the Resources Tab in the Units & Prices Tab of the detail window - here you set the maximum number of resources Available for each time period (based on period start date). This is set as a start Date followed by the number of Resources Available (and will be reflected in the Resource Usage Profile to show where resources are over allocated). This number should be updated for each date there is a change in available resource to enable accurate representation in the Usage Profile.

Gowhar Mir
User offline. Last seen 5 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks, Steven and Zoltan. What I am getting from this is that, since I am using productivity rate based per day and not hours, then I need to have default units as 1/d instead of 8/d.

Zoltan Palffy

Steven is correct the resource settings that were in effect at the time that you added the resource remain in effect. To see your results of changing the default untits per time then as per Stevens message you would have to delete the previous resource then add it again with the new default units/time

Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 7 hours ago. Offline

"How will changing the default units/time from 1/d to 8/d or vice versa effect the calculations?" - It Won't.

Changing the "default units/time" will not change any items in your schedule that you have already allocated the resource to - it will only affect resources that are added after the change has been made to the Default Settings.

If the resource has already been allocated before the change was made, then each activity will need to be updated to include the revised resource quantity - either manually or by Global Change.

The Default Units/Time column is in the number of resources to allocate when the Resource code is Initially applied to an activity, as otherwise it may cause incorrect values on Activities where the number of resources differs from the Default - i.e. an activity may only require 1 resource, but the default is changed to 8 then the originally applied values would be incorrect if this was transferred across.

You would need to change the Budgeted Units/Time on the activity to show the changes in your schedule, which would then spread exactly as Zoltan describes.

Regards,

Zoltan Palffy

it will spread the automatically multiple the units by 8 to give you budgted units

i.e. 5 days @ 8 units per day = 40 units or 40 hours