Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Importing XLS Causing Resource Assignment Duplication

3 replies [Last post]
Ryan Jarreau
User offline. Last seen 1 year 19 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I'm exporting resource assignments from P6 to Excel, updating budgeted units, actual units, and at completion units, then importing and Excel sheet into P6. Once the import is complete, I noticed that the resource has been updated based on my import, and a second resorce has been added and given budgeted units based on units per time that do not match the updated resource. Can anyone give me some insite on what's happening here please? Thanks in advance. 

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

not ture David I import and export without cost account ALL the time. Just throw the switch off and you will never get duplicates.

just because you have a cost code does NOT mean you cant duplicate the resource and the cost code.  

You can have the cost code in there twice. But not if you throw the switch 

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 37 weeks ago. Offline

You should alwasy export and import the cost account along with the rest of the resource assignment information, even if you do not use it, as it is part of the index for the assigment.  If you don't you are likley to duplicate

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

The software is onyl doing what you are telling it to do you are telling it to import the resource and is did it wil do it over and over and over agin if you tell it to. You can also tell it to NEVER assign the resouce to the same activity more than once.

here is how

go to the projects directory and make sure that your project is highlighted

then select show on bottom then project details 

now go to the Resources tab in the lower right under Resource Assignments

make sure that Resources can be assigned to the same activity more than once is NOT checked.