Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Loop checking in V 8.2 and 16.2

3 replies [Last post]
Kevin Rayner
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have been previously running 8.2 using progress overide on the programme. Occasionaly I have inadvertantly added logic that created a loop that was detected and removed from the programme. Otherwise the scheduling wont run.

This month we upgraded to 16.2 and following a normal monthly update and re-plan and many scheduling runs I ran a sched log that detected 28 loops that weren't flagged when running the scheduling.

I removed the loops and the sched log detected no further loops. When I checked the previous month's programme that was updated created in 8.2 in 16.2 it flagged 29 loops in the sched log.

I am assuming that 8.2 ignored loops on completed tasks if using progress overide but I am wondering why 16.2 now flags these in the sched log but not when scheduling?

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 7 hours 59 min ago. Offline

The options [progress override, retained logic ...] to solve out-of-sequence progress are intended to let the software by-pass the loops using different rules; it does not eliminate the out-of-sequence progress loops until you fix the logic.

With progress override or retained logic you may have loops, all shall be identified, so new version can be fixing this issue. 

Kevin Rayner
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

Using progress overide or retained logic isn't my decision, it is the client's decision.  That doesn't answer the question why 16.2 lists the loops in the sched log when 8.2 didn't. Since the sched log is submitted to the client with the update probably not a good idea to submit it flagging loops, even if they did exist in 8.2 as well.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 18 hours ago. Offline

there is your first mistake never ever ever use progress ove ride. It does not matter what version that you use once an activity is completed it is no longer considered or the forward and backward pass. Why would it ? It does not need any dates becasue you have actuals.