Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Varying resource start and end dates on activities

5 replies [Last post]
Karim Soliman
User offline. Last seen 8 years 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

I am using P6 release 8.4.

I have created a series of activities, and assigned resources to the activities. The activities are not yet linked. My resources start at various points throughout my activities, so some resources start on the first day of the activity and other start only 2 days later.

In order to reflect this I tried to update the start date for each resource in the Details ----> Resources tab, however this seems to push out the finish date for each resource, but I want each resource to finish at the same date as the end date of the activity.

Can anyone advise the right way to do this?

Regards

Karim

Replies

Karim Soliman

Hello,

Thank you for the replies.

Vladimir - in theory I could do this but in my particular case the activity is just 'construction supervsion, with a team of about 50+ personnel.

I would have to create 50+ activities to represent each resource starting at a different time - and this will make a very busy schedule.

What I have done is created various different manual resource curves......unfortunately if I then assign these curves to the resources, and assign the resources to the activity - the units are still evenly distributed throughout the activity duration.

The only way to make P6 represent the accurate distribution of units throughout the duration is to make the activity 'resource dependent' not 'task dependent'.

If resources start to work at different time then the work is changing. Why you do not want to create several linked activities instead of one with certain resource crews working at these activities all the time. It is easier to plan and to control project execution and besides resource leveling will be correct. 

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

create a custom curve to spread the manhours as you wish then assign the custom curve to resource for that activity

Karim Soliman

Are you are describing manual resource levelling, where I look over the resource utilisation spreadsheet and then delete hours as necessary to reflect a later start date for the resource?

What if my activity is several months long, and the resource in question starts 1 month into the activity, do I then have to individually delete the hours for this resource for each day of the first month? Is there no easier way?

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

why not link the activities recalculate then schedule the project and then check how the resources are being spread over the sanctities. 

you do not UPDATE the start date unless it is an ACTUAL date.