Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Varying resource start and end dates on activities

5 replies [Last post]
Karim Soliman
User offline. Last seen 7 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

I am using P6 release 8.4.

I have created a series of activities, and assigned resources to the activities. The activities are not yet linked. My resources start at various points throughout my activities, so some resources start on the first day of the activity and other start only 2 days later.

In order to reflect this I tried to update the start date for each resource in the Details ----> Resources tab, however this seems to push out the finish date for each resource, but I want each resource to finish at the same date as the end date of the activity.

Can anyone advise the right way to do this?

Regards

Karim

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

yes you can create resource calendars. When you go to calendars up top you have 3 choices global resource and project so select the resource calendar make sure ot assign the resource to the resource calendar

Karim Soliman
User offline. Last seen 7 years 51 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks for the responses,

just one more question. Is it possible to create a calendar for each individual resource, which reflects the fact that some of them start later than others? Is this a more effective way of reflecting different start dates for resources?

The reason I don't want to keep resource dates synced with activity dates, and then change them individually is purely because in some cases resources start several weeks or even months after the activity starts........which means I'll be spending a lot of time individually levelling resources.....

Feedback is appreciated.

Andrew Podolny
User offline. Last seen 39 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Karim

First of all you should link activities and calculate the schedule. So all your Start/Finish dates for activities and assignments will be updated.

Secondly if you want your resource assignments to have different dates from activity you have to disconnect Drive Activity Dates Flag and then use Remaining Lag & Remaining Duration for each assignment.

clipboard-1.jpg

This method has its own flaws - its not really easy to predict behavior of Activity dates when Resource assignment Finish goes beyond Finish Date of activity - activity Finish date will be updated regardless of Drive Activity Dates flag. 

So my advise is to keep activity and resource assignments dates synchro.

If you need more accurate representation - go with detalisation on activity level.

Regards,

Andrew

Andrew Podolny
User offline. Last seen 39 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Karim

First of all you should link activities and calculate the schedule. So all your Start/Finish dates for activities and assignments will be updated.

Secondly if you want your resource assignments to have different dates from activity you have to disconnect Drive Activity Dates Flag and then use Remaining Lag & Remaining Duration for each assignment.

clipboard-1.jpg

This method has its own flaws - its not really easy to predict behavior of Activity dates when Resource assignment Finish goes beyond Finish Date of activity - activity Finish date will be updated regardless of Drive Activity Dates flag. 

So my advise is to keep activity and resource assignments dates synchro.

If you need more accurate representation - go with detalisation on activity level.

Regards,

Andrew

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

why not link the activities recalculate then schedule the project and then check how the resources are being spread over the sanctities. 

you do not UPDATE the start date unless it is an ACTUAL date