Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 Group and Sort View Layout Problem

3 replies [Last post]
Eser Şentürk
User offline. Last seen 2 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

This may sound very easy question but we cannot find how to establish a constant group and sort view by clicking just once. I can prepare group and sort as my own way but I failed when I want to send this group and sort layout to my friend. He could not open it as I prepared. Please explain me how can i define group and sort layout. How can i use .plf documents? I cannot find a good introducing info for very dummies. :)

We are using p6 and we are copying and pasting every updates. First we copy update and we enter new update values to our activities and press f9 and again copying new update every week.

Anyway I want to use just one group and sort view to all my projects and updates. How can i do it? Please Explain it very easily. Thank you very much..

Replies

Dmitry R
User offline. Last seen 6 years 3 weeks ago. Offline

It might happen if you use project codes as elements of grouping/sorting. When you open another project, that doesn't have these codes, your layout just can't arrange your activities.

You should make your codes global to avoid this problem.

Eser Şentürk
User offline. Last seen 2 years 51 weeks ago. Offline

Actually, i even myself can not use layouts well. i am saving a layout with 5 different columns and 4 activity codes. Like Project Name, Blocks Name, Disciplin Name, Production Name. I am saving this layout and i am going different update and trying to open that layout. Primavera is opening colunms right but it can not open group and sort part properly. It erases project name, blocks name and disciplin name, it just write production name activity codes in group and sort part. May my primavera be broken? I do not understand really. :)

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

make the layout the way that you want it then select view layout save

then when you want for some one else to have this layout select view layout open 

then highlight the layout that you want to give to someone and on the right hand side select EXPORT

this will create a file with a plf extension

send this file to whoever you want to have it and let them save the file in a folder

Tell that person to select view layout open

Then that person can select on the right IMPORT

They can locate the layout file in the folder and import it.