Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Help Please - Network Diagram

5 replies [Last post]
C. Andre McMillan
User offline. Last seen 8 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello. I'm in need for some help. The spec (shown below) is calling for a Network Diagram. I have used the Activity Network view to create one and have tinkered in Visualizer. A big problem for me is that the project goes from 2012 into 2016 which is making me have sheets upon sheets of printed material, even on large sized plots.

The first one I sent over had 27 11x17 sheets and the Contracting Officer went ape xxxx. Originally there were 80, but I deleted the empty sheets. He wants plots. So I sent him six 40x30 sheets, but the Critical Path wasn't shown (printed in b&w, trying to save money). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated (I already thought of using a highlighter on the critical activities, but don't think tha'd go over well).

SPEC:

3.5.5. Network Diagram
The network diagram is required for the Preliminary, Initial, and Periodic
Updates. The network diagram shall depict and display the order and
interdependence of activities and the sequence in which the work is to be
accomplished. The Contracting Officer’s review of the Contractor’s
compliance with the conditions outlined in this paragraph will include,
but is not limited to, the following:
3.5.5.1. Continuous Flow
Diagrams shall show a continuous flow from left to right, with no arrows
from right to left. The activity number, description, duration, and
estimated earned value are to be shown on the diagram.
3.5.5.2. Project Milestone Dates
The diagram must include the project start date, any contract required
interim completion dates, and contract completion dates.
3.5.5.3. Critical Path
The critical path must be clearly shown. (Color Prints I suppose)
3.5.5.4. Banding
Activities are to be organized as directed to assist in the understanding
of the activity sequence.
Typically, this flow will group activities by category of work, work area,
and/or responsibility.

Thanks,

Andre

Replies

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 21 hours ago. Offline

Andre,

Customize the Bars by using a Pattern on it so that even printing in B/W the Critcal Activities will be recognized.

Regards,

C. Andre McMillan
User offline. Last seen 8 years 33 weeks ago. Offline

Raymund - totally agree, but the Contracting Officer does not. When he said he couldn't see the Critical Path, I told him to look at the Critical Path gantt chart that was also provided. Not good enough for him. He sees black & white with as much common sense as a shelled walnut.

Zoltan - thank you for those ideas. If he keeps belly aching, I may try that multiple plot approach.

Johannes - I;m sure those looked pretty good, especially if you could get them on a max of 3 sheets. I'm at 8 now for legibility and it's beyond waste.

Thanks - Andre

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Andre

I agree with Raymond. I still see the requirements in the administration procedures for off-shore contracts. My experience is that the scheduling model shall be created as an Network diagram but the the Schedule instances are presented in an Gantt barchart.

However nicely plotted diagrams look impressive! Takes me back to the late seventies . We drafted them by hand!

Regards Johannes

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

I could see this being 5 seperate plots but not one

if you want to get this try this

3.5.5 Network Diagram - Plot this using a plotter click on the activity network icon

3.5.5.1. Continuous Flow - I do not think that you can trun off the arrows. You can modify the box to get the required data in the box. The activity number, description, duration, and estimated earned value.

3.5.5.2. Project Milestone Dates - The only way to get the project start date is to add it as a header or footer. Any contract required interim completion dates, and contract completion dates can be shown in the modified box but it will be for all activities not just milestones

3.5.5.3. Critical Path - yes color plot in red

3.5.5.4. Banding - you can use Grouping here but then this defeats the critical path item above

if seperate plots this makes more sense

3.5.5 Network Diagram - Plot this using a plotter click on the activity network icon

3.5.5.1. Continuous Flow - Plot a times scaled logic diagram from left to right and turn off the relationships This wil be on the rigth in the graph portion.  You can add columsn in the data table portion on the left to get the required data such as the activity number, description, duration, and estimated earned value.

3.5.5.2. Project Milestone Dates - Filter for milestones only. 

3.5.5.3. Critical Path - Filer of the critical ptha only and plot in the color redred

3.5.5.4. Banding - you can use Grouping here and group it any way that you wish

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 21 hours ago. Offline

Andre,

I think that the Text of the Specs is considered obsolete, I have seen the same specs 20 years ago with one of the Projects I was assigned.

The layouts available from the Scheduling software or Customized layout according to Client's rep requirement will be acceptable.

Regards,