Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Open Ended Milestones

9 replies [Last post]
Haroon Rasheed
User offline. Last seen 9 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

Can Monitoring Milestones like "Receive all Equipment", "Finish all MEP works" be kept open-ended if it does not have any single logical successor?

if otherwise, lot of float is generated (calculated upto project end).

How do you deal with this?

-Haroon

Replies

Ahmed Aziz
User offline. Last seen 8 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Haroon,

You have one of two options:

1- assign a constrain on the activity to finish on/ afte/ before a certain given date

2- Link this activity to the final milestone of the project (for example finish project)

Regards

Aziz

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 9 hours ago. Offline

Hi Haroon

This setting does only mean that if you'll filter for critical activities they'll be included to remind you to link them.

In your case this link is - as Mike wrote before - irrelevant. I wouldn't mark this option.

Regards

Dieter

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Haroon

If the "monitoring milestones" such as "receive all euipment" are not linked to something in the programme then are pointless unless they are just in place for reporting purposes or to trigger some sort of stage payment.

In which case any float is irelevant.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Haroon Rasheed

Hi Vladimir,

I forgot to mention that you should tick the "Make open-ended activities critical" under Schedule options.

-Haroon

Open ended activities in any case have huge total floats. They may be delayed up to project finish, so linking them with finish milestone does not increase their floats.

Haroon Rasheed

Hi Vladimir,

Linking like that will again generate huge Total float.

Haroon

If somebody will insist on No open ends link all open end milestones with project finish milestone.

Haroon Rasheed

Hello Dieter,

I will state it on the "Basis of Schedule/Schedule Assumptions" document.

Thank you for validating this method. I was worried if this was a taboo since everybody goes by the 'no-open-ends-except-first-and-last-activity' logic.

Haroon

P.S: yes, the same Haroon Al Rasheed ;)

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 9 hours ago. Offline

Hi Haroon (Hārūn ar-Raschīd?)

Before you start your planning you write down all assumptions and discuss them with the PM. The use of open end control milestones for reporting purpose in my opinion is absolutely but must be part of this discussion and part of the planning procedure. Otherwise this might lead to misunderstandings.

Have a good planning

Dieter