Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

computer domain changed - ORA-12170: TNS:Connect timeout occured;

3 replies [Last post]
Steven H
User offline. Last seen 9 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

My computer was recently migrated to a new domain after a company merger. Neither company has extensive P6 experience. Knowing this, I should have backed up my database before the migration, but being fairly green myself, I did not. Now, when I attempt to start P6, my database cannot be found. When I go to configure (Driver type, Oracle; Connection String, XE; Username, pubprm$pm; etc...) , I receive the error, "Bad public user name or password. ORA-12170: TNS:Connect timeout occurred;". When I go to "Oracle Database 10G Express Edition" I am unable to start my database (not found), and unable to "backup database", and unable to "go to database homepage".

After scouring the web, I typed "lsnrctl start" into CMD. I found that the listener was looking at the old domain "(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=COMPUTERNAME.olddomain.com)(PORT=1521)))"

On a whim, I searched my C: drive, where P6 is installed, for the listener.ora file and opened it in notepad and changed "olddomain.com" to "newdomain.com", and ran command "lsnrctl start". I receive the same error messages, but now the Host is (COMPUTERNAME.newdomain.com)(PORT=1521). Oddly enough, after changing the domain, but not the port, I am able to "go to database homepage" and log in with pubprm$pm and my old password, but none of the other database funcitons (start or backup) will execute. All return errors. Am I able to backup my database from the database homepage? I will be receiving a new computer tomorrow and will install a fresh stand alone copy of P6 onto that computer. I do need to backup the database on my old computer to save the existing project schedules. If anyone could advise me on what to do next, I would greatly appreciate it!

-Steve

(>'.')>

Replies

Steven H

I mentioned in the post above that I opened my listener.ora file in notepad and changed "olddomain.com" to "newdomain.com". I found this file in "c:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\NETWORK\ADMIN". I also had to open tnsnames.ora, which is located in the same location, in notepad and change the "olddomain.com" to "newdomain.com".

If your company ever happens to switch to a new domain, and you are running a stand alone installation, you will need to edit the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files to include your new domain, otherwise P6 won't be able to find the database. You can see your domain name by right clicking Computer and selecting properties.

The files look like this when you open them in notepad,

tnsnames.ora

XE =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = COMPUTERNAME.domain.com)(PORT = 1521))

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVER = DEDICATED)

(SERVICE_NAME = XE)

listener.ora

LISTENER =

(DESCRIPTION_LIST =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC_FOR_XE))

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = COMPUTERNAME.domain.com)(PORT = 1521))

Steven H

double post

DELETE

Steven H

triple post

DELETE