Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Easiest way to get a successor report that lists the Successor Activity Name in addition to just the ID?

6 replies [Last post]
John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 1 week 2 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

P6 Professional 8.2 Easiest way to get a successor report that lists the Succesor Activity Name in addition to just the ID?  

(P3 could do this 20 years ago, it would be crazy if this newer more expensive software would not be able to do it somehow right?)  Or what is the best add-on to do this - this is really basic stuff to help a team build a schedule without having to look at the screen correct?  How can this not be an option?  Trying to hunt around matching activities to ID is crazy...I can do it in Excel or a Database convert to and back from p3 but I would think there is an easier way out there...I also have an add-on that get half way there...but I lose the option to throw some locations activity codes next to them...Is the EPPM any better at this, can I just pull it up in there to print a report?

Replies

Tom Reichner
User offline. Last seen 5 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

John,

I have a custom P6 Report that lists all of the activities in an open project, with the predecessors and successors for each activity. It includes the Activity ID and Activity Name as well as the Start & Finish dates. It also indicates whether the predecessor is a driving predecessor, and whether the successor is a driven successor. Its pretty lengthy as a result, but should tell you everything you always wanted to know about activity relationships in any project.

If you send an email to treichner@yahoo.com I will send the P6 erp file. When you receive it place it in a convenient place such as your desktop, open P6 and go to the Reports tab. Right click anywhere in the "Report Group: Schedule" subnode of "Report Group: Open Projects", and select "Import" from the drop-down menu. It should open with the "Import and create a new report" already checked by default. If not, select that choice, and click OK. A window will open prompting you to open the P6 Report you want to import.

Primavera does not always make it easy to extract and organize certain groups of data from the database. I have built a number of custom P6 Reports and will be building others as the need arises. If its in the database I can usually figure out how to extract the desired data and organize to suit my needs.

Tom Reichner

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi John

My comments on concatenation in your earlier thread may solve your problem.

Best regards

Mike Testro

John Reeves

I have .XER but the problem is that the relationship report that it creates does not give you the WBS or any codes and those are necessary to make any sense out of the activities on the particular schedules I am doing - again I can program around it but don't think that is my most efficient option....It is faster using a P6 custom report which doesn't let you add codes but does give you the WBS.  -  The strange thing about that P6 report though is that it only gives 1 relationship per activity...I assume I am missing something - there has to be a way for it to show ALL of the relationships but I haven't figured it out yet...I am thinking the best solution will be to copy the P6 HTML info into excel and then apply a report writer to it - just to get some professional looking formating...any suggestions on free or inexpensive report writers...I have Access on my machine...but only have time for one learning curve so I am wondering if there are better...-I am a long time user but used to do these a different way...but am trying to get up to date and use best practices.

samir chaudhari
User offline. Last seen 9 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Dear john,

I use XER toolkit for the same and recommend you to use it!

samir chaudhari
User offline. Last seen 9 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Dear john,

I use XER toolkit for the same and recommend you to use it!

John Reeves

Sorry this got posted so many times...it kept saying I had to complete my account before I could post it, but then would lock up - I didn't know it posted it each time I hit the button.