Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

What is the best approach to update multiple project files in P6?

3 replies [Last post]
Fernando Tubiao
User offline. Last seen 5 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Happy New Year to All.

I have inherited a set of 4 project schedule files to update in P6, all of them belonging to the same project. Also, all of them are resource loaded (resources have been assigned to level of effort type of activities, not at the activity level). Each file is one area of the project. There are relationships within each file, but there are also relationships among the files (or areas). This means, that if you update an activity and press F9, it may affect an activity that is on another file. I don't know the reason why the schedule was developed and / or split in such a way. I would like to ask the experienced guys on the best approach to update a schedule like this: Do you open EACH file, update it and run F9? or, do you open ALL the files, update and then run F9 with ALL files open? Any suggestions, advice, inputs are welcome.

Thank you.

Replies

julius chima
User offline. Last seen 10 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

How to do recovery plan or riversed plan for a Project with Multiple files or sub-projects

Hello All, 

I too inherited a project with multiple files or sub projects all link together. now theere are delay in most of the activities and where asked by the project co-ordinator to perform a recovery or revised plan to mitigate the delays. Please can anyone help on how to start with this.

Regards,

Jully

Fernando Tubiao
User offline. Last seen 5 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks for the reply. I have opened ALL files and can update the activities (dates). I have noticed that I cannot change the data date when you have ALL 4 files opened (it looks like you can only run F9 without changing the data date, it seems to be that you can only change the data date on each file individually).

Having said this, I assume the update "procedure" for ALL the schedule files BEFORE shifting the data date would be like this:

- Open ALL 4 files,

- Create "temporary" baselines for all 4 (this will be used afterwards for variance comparisons to see the changes) 

- Update activities / schedule

- Run F9 (keeking the same data date by now)

- Compare current schedule against the "temporary" baselines created before to see changes and impacts (there are relationships that go from one file -project- to another file - project)

- Once you are okay with your update, proceed to change the data date

To shift the data date:

- Open EACH individual file

- Create a "temporary" baseline again 

- Shift the data date (Run F9 and change the data date)

- Compare if the are any movements against the "temporary" baseline

I would like to know the opinion from the experts about this approach.

Thank you.

Neil Hendry
User offline. Last seen 4 years 29 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Fernando,

I would definitely open all four projects together and update that way as, since you inherited them, the logic may not be linked the way you expect it to be.

Make sure you have taken a baseline first (or 4) , run through all activities updating progress as required, schedule and then check the movement against your baseline.

That's the way I'd do it anyway

Happy new year back atcha

neil