Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

What to do with an activity that has huge float?

3 replies [Last post]
Russell Manuba
User offline. Last seen 10 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi ALL,

I am planning for installation of equipment for five buildings each. each building shoiuld be connected to a finish activity. One building is a priority and will finish early which will give me huge float as it should be connected to the finish activity? what should i do to minimize the float 

Replies

Ibrahim Ghazal
User offline. Last seen 6 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello Rusel,

Its a plan design phiolosophy.

Carlos Arana
User offline. Last seen 5 years 32 weeks ago. Offline

This may sound like a dumb question but, 

Why must you finish this building so early?

What would happen if you consumed all the float that it now has?

I think it may be a resources issue. Just tie similar activities from this building to similar activities of the next building, or do a resource constrained schedule.

If the pure logic is that this building must be finished first because "We want this building built first", just tie it finish to start the next building.

Saludos-

Carlos

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Russel.

Do not put a Must End By constraint on the early building.

P6 looks at the whole project so you will get lotsof float on the early building.

You can copy this one building into a new project and get a stand alone critical path.

Best regards

Mike Testro