Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Why am I getting negative float on connections/links to an external schedule?

1 reply [Last post]
John Drokovic
User offline. Last seen 5 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

Why would I be getting negative float on an activity that has different successor links, including one link to an external activity that has positive float. I made a what-if scenario by removing this external project and the negative float in my schedule dissappeared. I cannot make an analysis of the external schedule because I don't have access to see what's in there. One of the things that comes to my mind is that there might be some out-of sequence activities in that external file. Any ideas, comments, suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies

Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline

John

There are some calculation issue with the way that P6 calculates the Late Dates and I have experianced this issue when I have a relationship bewteen a Task on one calendar and an Successor Finish Milestone on another Calendar. I ended up with 600 days negative float on a two year long project once. We found by changing Finish Milestones to zero Duration tasks or Start Milestones the Late dates calculated differently and thus Total Float calculated differently.

I informed Oracle several years ago and I was assured it was on their fix list but the issue has not yet resolved!

This may give you a pointer as to what is causing your issue.

Also have you check for External Dates? These are constraint that are crete when you inport a project and do terrible things to a scheule if you do not know they are there!

Regards

Paul E Harris
BSc Hons, Certified Cost Engineer, PRINCE2 Practitioner
Managing Director and President
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Australia