Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Showing or Exporting lists of external predecessors and successors

3 replies [Last post]
Ian Thorpe
User offline. Last seen 13 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have received a number of MS Project programs with links to external predecessors and successors.  I am trying to identify all such logic links and the file name and locations of the external projects.  In some instances an activity has several external predecessors and/or successors.

In many cases the path names of the external activities are so long that the full list of predecessors or successors for a particular activity is more than the 254 character limit that MS Project can display in the predecessor and successor columns.  For example, it might show only the first two out of six predecessors.  I get the same result if I try to export the information to Excel.

I can view the full pathname and ID of an individual external activity by using the Task Form window and clicking in the 'ID' column for that external predecessor or successor.  However, this only allows viewing the information and only one at a time - I cannot copy the information.

Of course, there is also Tools \ Links Between Projects, but that doesn't show the activity ID of the external activity, shows the full path name of only one external link at a time and doesn't let you print the list out.

Does anyone know of a way of showing or exporting a comprehensive list of external predecessors and successors?

Replies

Jhorbam Baena Orozco
User offline. Last seen 2 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Ian, please post the solution that you found...i think that will be usefull to the forum people....thanks

Will Russell
User offline. Last seen 11 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Ian,

It would be nice if you could share your solution!!

Will

Ian Thorpe
User offline. Last seen 13 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

I've now found a solution myself.