Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MSP file size - increase by two times

13 replies [Last post]
Kenny Kek
User offline. Last seen 8 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I’m using the MSP 2007. At the begining, the file size is less than 2MB. After add in the macro to generate distribute the weightage and generate the S-Curve, the file size now become more than 5MB.

Can anybody advise the reason(s) of such file size difference.

Thanks

Replies

Willem Prinsloo
User offline. Last seen 10 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
I seem to sit with the same problem. My project is 6000 lines and I can not open it anymore. I tried a powerful PC assembled for drawings but it still doesn’t work. Please assit if possible. Any suggestions PLEASE?
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 21 hours 4 min ago. Offline
Don’t give up if you and Alexandre still want to work it out. Maybe Alexandre will be able to give you some hints you will thereafter use to your benefit. Comunicate with him via PP mail if you wish to see if it makes any sense.

IZARC and rar files are needed when transferring many files as rapidshare can only upload files one by one. You can upload the 100MB MS Project file without converting it to a rar file. Downloading is free.

Good luck
Kenny Kek
Thanks Alex / Rafeal,

I think I would just live with it.
My email not able to send such big size file.

note: The 100mb is the xml file.
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 21 hours 4 min ago. Offline
Can you e-mail the 100MB file Kenny got after the explosion? Is just a 600 activities job.

What is the average e-mail size limit in the E.U. ?

You can consider rapidshare to transfer files of more than 10MB if this is still the limit on e-mails. Rapidshare has a premium account that if used wiselly can be enough. You can use IZARC a free utility to convert several files into a rar file with a 200MB limit. Not sure about it being able to split a single larger than 200MB file into several 200MB files, this might be a limiting factor if MS Project tends to create files larger than 200MB for your files.
Darren Kosa
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Kenny,

Re-save the file, but use a different title.

E.g. File > Save As > Project1.1, instead of File > Save Project1

Does this have any effect?

I’ve found in the past that if I just click the ’Save’ icon to overwrite the file then it is very susceptible to file bloat. I now always use the File menu to ’Save As’ even if I’m saving it as the same file name.

Regards,

Darren

EDIT: I should add that I don’t have any external links in my files
Kenny Kek
Thanks Gentlemen,

Try out the suggestion, but seem like not effective.

Also, try the http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm #43, can only save as xml file (mpd option not available).

The file size increased to close to 100mb in xml format, can you believe it? Can’t even open it (maybe my machine not powerful enough)

Still no solution

:( !
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Kenny

I did not know that MSP had a limited file size.

Another good reason for staying away.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Kenny Kek
Opps ! Forgot to mention.
The total number of activities less than 600 items.

Thanks!
Alan Dunn
User offline. Last seen 4 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
I used to have the same problem (with Office 2007). I updated a service pack (1 i think) and the problem went away. Before that I had to save as XML and then save as a new mpp every few weeks. So now I have the Service pack, the program files still get corrupted sometimes forcing me to abandon my current version every so often.

I’ve had occasions where the whole structure has become jumbled, summary tasks becoming tasks and vice versa, the programme complaining of a loop including a task that doesn’t exist etc. etc. Todays one was more subtle. All activities were in their place but the float calculations were wrong. Some activities having float as if they had no successor, however they did. Bottom line, I only use this software if a client INSISTS on it.