Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

BEGINNER Req: How do I set locations in MS Project?

5 replies [Last post]
Zack Chen
User offline. Last seen 12 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear all

I’m learning how to use MS Project. May I know how can I set locations in MS Project? The location, example [Basketball Court 1], [BasketBall Court 2], Indoor Court can only be used by ONLY one team at any point in time

Thanks in advance!

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 3 days 8 hours ago. Offline
Zack,

I’m not sure on which custom field you used when you define your location.
If you define it by task:
1) Click Task usage icon on left side of your monitor or Select View-> Task usage on your menu.
2) Select Project-> Group by-> More groups…
3) Click New then type the name of the group you want to add. (say location)
4) Under the group by select the field name you define (say Text 1) and click Ok

Now you will have a screen having a group by location and the entire task under each location and the resources per task showing the hrs allocated per day. You can change the allocated hrs by double clicking the resources name and change the start and finish date according to your allocations. You can also change it by days by deleting or adding the hrs allocated per day. (Say Court 1 having resources Team A allocated from day 1 to 3 and Team B allocated from 4 to 6).
You can also define the resource availability by clicking Resource sheet icon and double click the resources name. On the resource availability selects the date available from and to.

If define by Resources:
1) Click Resource usage icon or Select View-> Resource usage.
2) Select Project-> Group by-> More groups…
3) On the pop-up you will notice that resource is tick and not the task.
4) Click New then type the name of the group you want to add. (say location)
5) Under the group by select the field name you define (say Text 1) and click Ok
6) Your screen will show group by location, resources and task.
7) Double click the resource name and set your availability from and to date.
8) If the availability date is not match to your allocated days, it will prompt you that you have over resource on the activity and just click skip all.
9) Correct the allocation hrs per day according to availability start and to date to fix the conflict or error.

Note: I assumed that all task or resources are already allocated on its defined custom field (ie:location). I hope this will help.

Regards,
Rodel
Zack Chen
Hi,

Sorry to bore you with this. Argh, but I still can’t get it.
When I assign basketball court 1 to team A and team B, they still conflict as team A and team B would need the basketball court for the entire day at any one point in time.

Currently they are being assigned ( level resources ) to
Basketball Court 1, Team A Day 2-3 while Team B starts from day 3-5. May I know how to solve it? or is it due to MS Project inability to solve such conflicts?
Rodel Marasigan
Zack,

Yes it is possible to level your resources to Group Task, resources or assignment.

To group tasks, select a sheet view such as the Gantt Chart, Task Sheet, or Task Usage view.
You can also group tasks in the Network Diagram view.

To group resources, select a sheet view such as the Resource Sheet or Resource Usage view.

To group assignments, select the Task Usage or Resource Usage view.

On the View menu, click the view you want. To use a view that is not on the View menu, click More Views, click the view you want to use in the Views list, and then click Apply.

regards,
Rodel
Zack Chen
Hey Rodel,

Thanks for the headsup on that, but is it possible to level resources via this method? Its because I’m still getting conflicts in the resource leveling.

Thanks for your help and time, appreciate it!

Rodel Marasigan
Hi Zack,

Select Tools-> Customise-> Fields.. on project menu
You can select from Tab “Customs Field” or “Custom Outline Code”

The difference between the two are Custom Field is same as “User define fields” in P3 and Custom Outline Code is “Activity Code” in P3.

Custom Fields:
Select Field “Task” or “Resources” depending on your usage
Select “Text” on pull down menu under Type
Select any one on “Text1 or Text2….etc” and rename to “Location”
You can set the value by clicking value list and type the value you want and description or just the value itself (say :Court 1 : Basketball Court 1, Court 2 : Basketball Court 2,…)

Custom Outline Code:
Select Field “Task” or “Resources”
Select any of Outline codes.. and rename to “Location”
Set the value by clicking Edit Lookup Table and type the code and description required.

After inputting all data required click “Ok”

Click Insert-> Column from project menu
On the field name pull down menu select the field that you modify (ex: Text 1(Location)
Type : “Location” on the Title and click Ok

Cheers,
Rodel