Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

why does MSP prorates resorces in resource leveling?

4 replies [Last post]
ersin namli
User offline. Last seen 11 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi, I want to ask something about leveling with MSP. When i solve the leveling problems with hand method i can reach better solutions becouse MSP allocate resources in prorated form. I couldn’t find how to make that optimization of resource allocation automatically with MSP. If there is possibility i can send you the sample projects. Thanks for yuor attention.

Replies

ersin namli
thanks for your help I’ll try these in p3 too.
ersin namli
Hi, firstly thanks for your interest. I’ll try to explain with an example. Assume that an activity which has 5 days duration and also has 5 days slack. It has just 2 workers daily working as a resource it means 16 hours a day totally 80 hours for whole activity. If I want I can decrease the resources to 1 worker a day so the duration will increase to 10 days, finally it’s acceptable for my project because it doesn’t change my critical path or it doesn’t effect my cost the adjustment is done in available slacks.

I can do these without software and I couldn’t reach the same optimizations with MS project. MSP divide resources equally to activity duration and it just make splits if it’s necessary but it can’t increase the activity duration by allocating resources randomly although it has available slacks.

My e-mail is: ersinnamli@yahoo.com I can send you the sample projects