Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Effect of Calendars on Task Links

3 replies [Last post]
Philip Richards
User offline. Last seen 14 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
can anyone please help?

I have coppied one MS Project into another.

The imported project is working to a different calendar to the master, so I have assigned a ’Task Calendar’ to the imported tasks.

When I compare the imported tasks to the original source programme. there are differences. These appear to occur where there is a lead or lag on the task links.

I assume that the links are not working to the ’Task Calendar’.

Can anybody clarify, and ideally offer a solution?

Replies

Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
One possible workaround for your immediate problem would be to replace all lags with dummy tasks. You may then control the calendar of the dummy tasks.

Bernard Ertl
eTaskMaker Project Planning Software
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
It is indeed true; MS Project uses the project default calendar for lags. P3 uses the predecessor activity’s calendar, and P3ec uses any calendar it wants to. Good luck!
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
There is a long discussion on the subject (albeit at a more general level) where it is easy to see that different scheduling packages handle multiple calendars and calendars for lag relationships very differently:

What do you expect?

I really did not wish to disclose which systems I was using, but since you have a direct question and a specific need, I will share that in my testing, it appeared that MS Project was indeed using the default project calendar for the lag relationships irrespective of the calendars for the predecessor or successor tasks. I did not attempt to import an existing schedule into another schedule using a different default calendar, but it would appear from your post that doing so does not change the calendar for the lag activities.

You might try exporting the most basic data possible and re-importing. Perhaps you can find a medium that does not communicate the calendars for relationships.

Bernard Ertl
eTaskMaker Project Planning Software