Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Grouped by Resources

5 replies [Last post]
Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can anyone of you planner out there know how to group by resources in MS Project? I haved tried it but the outcome is not what it looks like in P3.. pls. help! .ty.

Replies

Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Pare,

Will is right, Use the resource usage view to get what you want. All the task assigned to a specific resource will be grouped and you can see fields in timescaled fashion such as cost and resources values.

This is better than using the group feature for this situation.

Se
Christian Adrian ...
I was hoping that I could do the same with MS Project like in P3, anyway thanks a lot for the tips...

Regards,

Christian
Will Russell
User offline. Last seen 11 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Having had a quick try, I do not think you can do this on the Gantt chart view because MSProject looks at the whole contents of the field, therefore if there is more than one resource in the field it will group it seperately, but you can do it on the Resource Usage view.

The resource usage view will give you the resources and which tasks they are working on, you would then have to group by which ever area, phase or stage that you want.

I find that grouping by assignments is useful, but if you want to group assignments you will have to put the relevent codes into the assignment fields. I would suggest that you do this in the Task Usage View, because it is easier to "copy down" (CTRL D) the relevent codes from the task to the assignment. The code will then show in the resource usage view and you can then group by the assignments.

I hope this is of some help,

Will
Christian Adrian ...
Im trying to group the task by the same resource so that i can make a proper resource scheduling. As far as i have used MS Project I havent grouped them by resources only by Area, Phase, Stage, & etc. Can you help me?

Thanks!
Will Russell
User offline. Last seen 11 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Would like to help, but need a bit more information.

Are you trying to group the tasks by which resources they are using or trying to group the resources themselves?

Will