Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

saving a baseline

3 replies [Last post]
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
we have a major problem saving a baseline. MSProject defaults to start1 / finish1 as its baseline saving but we cannot achieve a baseline after adding start1 / finish1 or baseline start / baseline finish columns. we have set up the bar styles baseline on line 2 normal and either baseline start / baseline finish ot start1 / finish1 and still no baseline after tools / tracking / save baseline. any suggestions as to how to fix??

Replies

Evgeny Z.
User offline. Last seen 38 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

I am not quite sure from the description, what the problem is, but the general rule of working with baselines in MSP is as follows:

You save baselines to Baseline1 - Baseline10 (but not to Baseline).

Later if you want to compare the spesific baseline you saved with the current schedule (e.g. by using tracking Gantt or by using at start/finish varience), then you need to copy the BaselineX you wish to compare  into the Baseline. This copying you do like this:

Set Baseline => Set interim plan => Copy BaselineX Into Baseline.

So. effectively Baseline1 - Baseline10 you use to save data, Baseline you use as container, which keeps the copy of the baseline, which you currently compare to.

Regards.

Evgeny

P.S. I have no idea, why there is a difference between Start and Baseline Start on the attached picture, assuming that you have just saved the schedule to Baseline.  If you can put the schedule somewhere where I can get it, I could check it.

Zeki Cihan Co&#3...
User offline. Last seen 10 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

2.png

Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
When you save a baseline using the save as baseline option not the interim plan, MSP will save the start and finish date to Baseline Start & Baseline Finish correspondingly. When you use the save in interim plan, you can choose whether to save your start & finish dates in Start1/Finish1, Start2/Finish2 etc. If results with your MSP is not this way, I suggest you contact your dealer.