Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Why not automatically closing old discussions?

5 replies [Last post]
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 53 min ago. Offline

Once in a while a Planning Planet member revives very old discussions they should have asked years ago when the discussion was active.  It is offensive to many of us such actions.

The following being the last one:

http://www.planningplanet.com/forums/primavera-version-pm5-pm6/509832/global-change-relationship-type

To make it worse due to a change in Photobucket service my postings using Photobucket reference are no longer available. Finding each one of these postings to edit them with some kind of note is impractical.

• Is there a way for me to delete only my old postings and keep only those that are active or still relevant?
  • If I opt out of Planning Planet every 3 years will this erase all my postings?
  • What if latter on I start a new membership, can this be a feasible option?
  • Why not automatically closing old discussions?

Best Regards,

Rafael

Replies

Hi Rafael,

Thanks for the update.  I checked your posts and understand the new changes / background about the image sharing service you were using at Photobucket.  I was referring to the issue about images on PP forums.  I believe you switched over to Photobucket some years ago because your uploaded images to PP were no linger showing on the screen; it is this "exceeded overall file upload limit" aspect that I am checking up on as if you had been able to upload your images with us we would not have the Photobucket issue.

I will be back shrotly as soon as our technical guy has briefed us on a solution.  Have a great week.

Regards...James 

Rafael Davila

James,

My images are not visible because I stored them outside Planning Planet, I just paste a link.  At a time I was using Photobucket for this purpose but they changed their conditions so I changed to Postimage.  My old pictures will never be recoverable. 

https://postimages.org

Starting a new membership seems like my best option, no more annoying messages on old posts but will be informed of current discussions of interest.

Best Regards,

Rafael

Hi Rafael,

I'll try to answer your queries below...

• Is there a way for me to delete only my old postings and keep only those that are active or still relevant?

I do not think you can delete a posting because that you mean you also delete its comments and that would mean the system needing to allow you to delete other peoples comments. 

• If I opt out of Planning Planet every 3 years will this erase all my postings?

If you "opt out" your posts made under your previous username would obviusly still remain so those old postsing and the comments of others would still remain.  However, anytime you get a notification that someone has commentedon one of your posts there is a "subscriptions" link at the botton that alows you to stop recieving further notification emails when anyone else makes a comment.

• What if latter on I start a new membership, can this be a feasible option?

If you start a new membership you woukd not recieve updates or notifications in relation to posts or comments made by your previous account / username so that would stop you getting the notifications that are annoying you.

• Why not automatically closing old discussions?

I do not (yet) see the point in preventing other people from adding their opinion to a new or old post.  I will ask the team what they think.  Please note that I am also chasing up what we can do to resolve the issue of some of your / our images not being visible.  I suspect it is because you have exceeded your limit on the amount of file space the system allows each member for images they upload.  I think / hope that if we increase this then the images will all be visible.  Please let me get an answer then we can work out the best way forward.

I will revert with answers soon.

Regards...James

Rafael Davila

Many/most of my old postings are not from discussions originated by myself but still once in a while someone who does not pay attention revives the issue and publish questions about very old discussions I am no longer interested or that I cannot any longer follow. 

• Do you mean I can ask for hundreds/thousands of such old discussions generated by others to be closed?
  • Shall it be on a one by one case?
  • Do I have to wait until someone tries to revive such discussions?  That would be a bit late.
  • What will happen if every 3 years I cancel and renew my PP membership?  
  • Will this erase all my postings and any reference to my name so that no one will ask annoying questions regarding years old conversations?

About my lost images please follow the following link.

http://www.planningplanet.com/forums/improving-planning-planet-website/614067/unsightly-error-images-photobucket

Hi Rafael,

If you, or anyone esle for that matter, points us to a post we can "close it" to prevent further comments.

I have asked our technical person about the image limit / issues and I wil revert on that so we can togetehr find a good solution so we can avoid the need to have to adjust or delte old posts and imactive images etc.  Please email me at james.wiliams@planningplanet.com and we can get this conlcuded buddy.

Regards....James