Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Thread rating system

4 replies [Last post]
Piers John dOrgee
User offline. Last seen 13 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I’ve been looking at a few forums today and discovered something that might be of interest to you guys.

Some forums use a rating system for how interesting/relevant/informative a thread can be.

Would the members of PP like to see something like this?

With all the threads that have been created I think it might help members decipher which threads are really good, and which threads may not be quite as helpful.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Replies

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
I think a rating system would be useful.

A few times now when i have searched for threads on a particular topic, I got so many results and a lot of them were not very helpful.

Having said that, I’d put it at a lower priority than some of the other improvements people have asked for like file-sharing and access to productivity rates

Cheers,

G
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi Piers

The Nazi thread very nearly got deleted - his other thread was.

I am sure the PP admin will read about your rating idea and maybe put it on the list of things to do - but don’t hold your breath waitng.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Piers John dOrgee
User offline. Last seen 13 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Well, of course the rating is up to the opinion of the people reading it. If we were to implement a subscription/favourites system, then if a user finds the topic to be quite an interesting conversation then they can easily access the thread.

I simply think a rating system would be an easy way for members to find worthwhile topics quickly. If a topic has gone off to something else, there’s never anything to stop them reading posts that were made earlier. The fantastic things about a forum is that the conversations can often be strangely beautiful. If anything, in my opinion it’s these threads that should get high ratings as they promote networking, which is what we’re all about.

I thought it to be a good system for filtering threads would be an easier way for filtering the wheat from the chaff. Like a thread that I saw that began ’what happened to my thread you nazi’ would probably get 1 star or something equivalent, whereas something that is of interest to the members, whether it be professional or just a bit of fun would be given a higher rating.

What do you think?

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi Piers

The spread of threads and opinions in PP would make a rating sytem both very dificult and also irrelevant.

Topics often get hi jacked and spin off in all sorts of directions.

Just recently a thread about a concrete structure ended up discussing 10 pin bowling - how would you rate that?

I like the eclectic mix of characters and opinions that we get in PP.

Best regards

Mike Testro