Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Manpower Estimation for Airport Projects

5 replies [Last post]
Wissam Al Zahab
User offline. Last seen 12 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

greetings to all,

I'm working in the New K.A.I Airport Project in Jeddah-KSA. I'm trying to estimate manpower needed to deliver the project on time. The project is a Lumpsum design-build project, thus unfotunately I don't have drawings nor detailed BOQ. The only technique can be used here is analogue estimation (by cost or Area) and expert judjement. plz can you help me in estimating the total manpower needed?

Project characteristics are as follows:

• The Project duration is 4 yrs (last yr is for maintenance i.e 3 yrs for construction)
  • The budget is approximately 7 billion dollars
  • Total Area for the Airport boundary is app. 104 km sq.
  • Project complexity is high since an operating airport is running in the area.

regards;

Wissam

Replies

Jithin Kambhikanam
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Could you list out the various activities involved in Civil, MEP , Infrastructure fo a n Airport Project.

Jithin Kambhikanam
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Could you list out the various activities involved in an airport project like Civil, MEP, Infra, etc...

Ithrees Mohamed
User offline. Last seen 13 years 1 week ago. Offline

I am consultant QS, I am preparing a BOQ for airport project day works,

I need to know the special dayworks items.

Best regards,

Ithrees

Wissam Al Zahab
User offline. Last seen 12 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Daniel;

thanks for your reply, the problem here is that don't have the build-up area for all the facilities, the design is in progress at this stage, thus I wanted to use analogous estimation from a similar previous project. Many factors are related to manpower estimation (Type of work, Location, Duration, Complexity,... etc). However, at this stage, I just need a rough estimation for Manpower.

regards;

Wissam

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Wissam,

You have a very tough job ahead of you, the only logical way to estimate it is through the build up floor area and special systems. Identify each facilites and floor area estimates. Airports have very high ceiling so you may need to consider this factor, You also need to consider the hidden services and special systems, runway, ancillary support facilities, airport infrustructures and hardscape and landscape works.

Based on my last project worth 3.5 billion USD, the estimated peak manpower is 13,500 Mandays. But you can not use this as a basis.

Best regards,

Daniel